Lanzar Opti250X4 vs Zed Audio Dreadnought........Sundown 200.4D

SMFJ
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
To start this post, NO ONE GIVE ME **** FOR ASKING THIS COMPARISON, I understand Zed is near the top of the amplifier food chain while Lanzar isn't close. But the Opti Line has produced some good about that do rated power therefore I have respect for them in that regard.

This being said, I am currently running an MB QUART Q4.150 I love the amp but I've got a little cash coming soon and am wanting something a bit bigger. I don't care much for class AB amps as my current one can **** near boil water when pushed. I am aware that the Dreadnought is a Class D amp and I believe it will run cooler and surely more efficient than my current amp. Since we're talking class d let's throw the sundown 200.4 in the mix since its in this price range as well. I'm not sure if the Opti is class D as I can't find many specs about by its rated for a 200A fuse, using that I get close to 1900rms after efficiency at 1 ohm but I don't know if it's 1 ohm stable.

Outside of the MB QUART I have no experience with any of these amps. At these price points any of these three will be a LONG TERM investment so I'm depending on you good people of the forum for your input and experiences with these. The fact that I'm trying to utilize all the power of these beastly amps should tell you I'm not shooting to win an SQ competitions. I'll be using crescendo pa mids on the amp pretty much as many as I can fit in the lowest stable ohm load.

Car is 99 olds speakers are going in the doors and maybe rear quarter panels depends on if I wall it, if that the case they'll at the top or bottom of the wall sectioned off.

All VALUABLE feedback will be appreciated. Please don't recommend 2 smaller amps if that was the case I'd grab another MB QUART.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st advice, paragraphs, use them.

Secondly, if you're not really going for SQ then i wouldn't shoot for the Zed audio amp. This is not because I believe in which amp sounds better, but simple fact is that the Zed amp has much better xover options that neither the Lanzar nor the MBQ will even come close. Not too sure about the sundown, but i believe the sundown is active capable.

It all comes down to watts/dollar (for me) and efficiency (space and power). Go with the one that is efficient, can fit into your car, and fit your budget.

1st advice, paragraphs, use them.
Secondly, if you're not really going for SQ then i wouldn't shoot for the Zed audio amp. This is not because I believe in which amp sounds better, but simple fact is that the Zed amp has much better xover options that neither the Lanzar nor the MBQ will even come close. Not too sure about the sundown, but i believe the sundown is active capable.

It all comes down to watts/dollar (for me) and efficiency (space and power). Go with the one that is efficient, can fit into your car, and fit your budget.
My MB Quart is actually 3-Way Active. All three are in the budget but power output durability and longevity are my key determining factors. Given I have experience with these 3 amps it's kind of hard for me to make an educated and fiscally responsible decision as this will be a long term upgrade.

The Zed is ~800

Lanzar 289(why it caught my eye)

Sundown 400-550

My MB Quart is actually 3-Way Active. All three are in the budget but power output durability and longevity are my key determining factors. Given I have experience with these 3 amps it's kind of hard for me to make an educated and fiscally responsible decision as this will be a long term upgrade.
The Zed is ~800

Lanzar 289(why it caught my eye)

Sundown 400-550
It's either the sundown or the zed. Personally I like zed audio stuff, if I can afford them. Btw, the MBQ may be active capable, but I don't think they have 24db/oct slopes.

It's either the sundown or the zed. Personally I like zed audio stuff, if I can afford them. Btw, the MBQ may be active capable, but I don't think they have 24db/oct slopes.
I believe your right but honestly I have no idea what that means or its function. I typically tweak whatever I have to my ears liking. I'm sure one day car audio will lead me down the SQ path when I'm a bit older and more mature. Lol. Loud and crisp is my goal right now with slight bit of distortion. Hate to say but it seems like that when my amps come alive.

Thanks for your input dragnix

OP would you be interested in a Leviathan instead?
which batch of leviathans is it? I read up on them earlier and found out some the Leviathan Is had a bad chip issue. Leviathan was the initial zed I was looking at but I'm not sure how to configured a 6 channel amp especially since I don't want my tweets getting nearly that much power. PM me.

That Leviathan is super nice. I had it running my entire system. I wish I never let it go. Stupid mistake.

But if I had the money, I would run Zed stuff all day. Sounds incredible, efficiency is unmatched, and the amps are beautiful.

which batch of leviathans is it? I read up on them earlier and found out some the Leviathan Is had a bad chip issue. Leviathan was the initial zed I was looking at but I'm not sure how to configured a 6 channel amp especially since I don't want my tweets getting nearly that much power. PM me.
Only the very early production run of Leviathan 1 had the protection circuit issue. IMO it wasn't even that bad. I was in the initial SSA group buy and I ran mine for a year before I sent it back to have the issue fixed. Seemed to me that the HU I used would determine how often it went into protect on power-up. I have a 60A fuse on Leviathan and never pop it, so I'd say it's very efficient, runs very cool, and also is quite a space saver.

I have heard good things about the Lanzar Opti line (though I have only owned the Zed made Opti's), and I know Sundown has some good stuff, so your call. I'm positive the Zed will be the smallest and most efficient of the bunch (neither of the othes are class D) and his amps always hold a very good re-sale value.

The ZED's are yummy in person, but that is my opinion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Zed,diamond,arc, brax, audison, take your pick.vibe also had nice arc mini copies. Myself, if I could ever get my hands on a diamond d9 4 channel I'd buy it no doubts. I love Zeus ability however to sound amazing on a flat eq curve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.