Why won't my subwoofer move like it's supposed to?

sammyboi

I've got a Rockford Fosgate P2D4-10, (10" 4ohm 300W RMS DVC) sub wired in parallel to present a 2 ohm load to my amp.

My amp is a soundstream PN5 640D which is 60Wx4 for the speaker channels at 4 ohms, and 350Wx1 @ 2 ohms -- I've wired it to the subwoofer parallel for a 2ohm load.

I'm not expecting it to rattle any windows, I just want a nice sound on the inside. My subwoofer enclosure is made to spec, .64ft^3, but the sub itself does not move like videos of the product do. I've changed LPF and HPF settings hoping to figure it out, the equalizer, and gain.

It moves, but my speakers themselves outdo the subwoofer. I heard you have to break them in, is this why it's not working well? I just installed them after not using that 5th channel, or can I simply not wire the last channel at a different impedance than the main four?

I figured a 350W amp channel would do well with a 300W subwoofer being

How did you set your gains? Where is the sub pointed? In a small sealed box it's best to load the sub off a trunk corner about 6-8" from the corner.

Another option to consider is interconnects. What size wire are you running from the sub to the terminal, terminal to amp, battery to amp? Remember size matters! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You may also want to consider some poly fiber-fill to eliminate boominess, it'll make things sound tighter/cleaner. Also, how thick is the box material? Anything less than 3/4" can make a difference also.

Lastly, keep in mind that your subs need 300 watts RMS (minimum) and your amp is pushing out 350 watts MAX. So your amp may be struggling a bit while the subs aren't really getting the juice they want. Just a thought.

Another option to consider is interconnects. What size wire are you running from the sub to the terminal, terminal to amp, battery to amp? Remember size matters! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
You may also want to consider some poly fiber-fill to eliminate boominess, it'll make things sound tighter/cleaner. Also, how thick is the box material? Anything less than 3/4" can make a difference also.

Lastly, keep in mind that your subs need 300 watts RMS (minimum) and your amp is pushing out 350 watts MAX. So your amp may be struggling a bit while the subs aren't really getting the juice they want. Just a thought.

Where the heck is Mercer Island?

I'm close to Marysville/Smokey Point

An Indian chief named Chief Bowels is being asked to move off a reservation, but refuses. One day he walks into the nearby town and goes into the army hospital, mistaking it for the army headquarters. He goes up to a nurse and says "Bowels no move." So the nurse says, "Here, take this for 2 days, then come back and see me."

So the Indian chief comes back after 2 days and says, "Bowels no move." The nurse says, looking a little disgruntled, "Here, take this for 4 days and come back to see me."

So the Indian chief comes back after 4 days, and before he could say anything, the nurse says, "Let me guess. Bowels no move." The chief says, "No, Bowels move. Bowels have to move, Teepee full of crap."

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.