Kicker, Sundown, Memphis?

I would do Sundown, wouldn't do Memphis, definitely wouldn't do Kicker.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't do any 3 of those. You may want to look into DD and Fi, two of my favorite brands.

Big tweeters that make you not be able to breathe, break crap, bail innocent bystanders, and flex other people's cars and shop's windows
Agreed

FYI a 150dB blast from horn tweeters at the right frequency can break windows and make you go deaf in a few seconds. Wonder why there isn't a treble SPL contest...

As you can see there a lots of opinions. Only one opinion matters...YOURS! Go out and listen to them all and make up your own mind. For my opinion the Mojos sound better on music than the Nightshades, but the Nightshades are a better SPL sub than the Mojos. The SA-12" are the best value... they sound good and get loud. The only things I would use a Kicker sub for is a boat anchor, a wheel chock, or a paper weight!

I have no way of really hearing anything Sundown, DD, or Fi as I don't know anyone locally that runs them at all. I can probably find someone that has some memphis c3 subs I could listen to along with possibly a mojo but its hard to test them without buying them since I don't know of anyone locally that has any.

I have no way of really hearing anything Sundown, DD, or Fi as I don't know anyone locally that runs them at all. I can probably find someone that has some memphis c3 subs I could listen to along with possibly a mojo but its hard to test them without buying them since I don't know of anyone locally that has any.
Go look on the dB Drag website and find a show close to you. I have heard them all... the Sundown SA subs are the best for the money, they sound good musically, and have a decent amount of output. The Mojos have really soound musicality, and can get really loud. The Nightshades have impressive output, but aren't the best sounding sub. I wouldn't even consider the C3's... the SA's are better for the same to less money.

The only things I would use a Kicker sub for is a boat anchor, a wheel chock, or a paper weight!
I think I've seen you say this exact same thing about Kicker in the past. Obviously you are hung up on the lower end of Kicker. Same could be said about 95% of companies out of their lower lines. Only the cheapest of the cheap would really fit your description that none of their products are worth the materials they are made out of. Even crap made off brands at $5 are worth bumping if you can get them for $5 and take care of them. Are you entitled to your opinion that Kicker isn't good? Most definitely, however, stop spreading baseless opinions in a way that you deter people who might have a wonderful experience with a product.

Why narrow it down to three. Instead of giving us sub companies to choose from it would be more helpful if you gave us a budget. You could do AQ which has very affordable equipment and its pretty good quality, I had 2 HDC3's and loved em. Sundown also makes good equipment however I have only owned their amps and one sub which wasnt made by them but rather just reconed by them. A buddy of mine ran 2 memphis mojo 12's and his was pretty impressive, he hit a 148.xx with 2. All of the kickers i have heard i havent been too overly impressed with i must say. I liked my RD Alphas when I had them and My RD sonances, (you may not want to deal with this company unless you find used equipment listed in the classifieds, not sure how the business has been going). Ive liked the Digital Designs equipment ive heard/used. DC sound labs is also a very good option if you want some high quality subs. For amps maybe consider crescendo audio, they are zenon based amps and are very affordable for the power they put out. I love my Inciminator Audio amps to death but they will break the bank lol. There are soo many options.......

I think I've seen you say this exact same thing about Kicker in the past. Obviously you are hung up on the lower end of Kicker. Same could be said about 95% of companies out of their lower lines. Only the cheapest of the cheap would really fit your description that none of their products are worth the materials they are made out of. Even crap made off brands at $5 are worth bumping if you can get them for $5 and take care of them. Are you entitled to your opinion that Kicker isn't good? Most definitely, however, stop spreading baseless opinions in a way that you deter people who might have a wonderful experience with a product.

I don't have baseless opinions. All of my opinions are based on experiences with the products as an installer and enthusiast. When I was installing at a shop a decade ago, Kicker subs were the number one most replaced items to come inot our shop. It was never due to product failure, but rather due to the general displeasure with the quality of the sound they produced. A very good friend of mine was a Kicker distributor since the early 90's... he started carrying JL a few years back and no one would buy the Kickers when listened to in a side by side comparison... Kicker sales dropped so much that he quit selling them. The lone subwoofer from Kicker that truly had a quality sound was the old round Solobarics. If you are looking for a speaker with decent output and poor to average SQ, then Kicker is for you. Kicker amps are well built, do rated power and produce it pretty cleanly. The main problem with their subs, as I see it, is the fact that they don't do anything really well... they get loud, but there are better SPL subs, they sound ok on music, but they aren't going to be found in any SQ cars. They are a middle of the roa subwoofer that has made it as far as they have on the merit of a name they made before car audio was really refined.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

hondacr125

10+ year member
hondacr125
West Olive, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from