Kicker Help

Komsan6063
10+ year member

Florida
Hey, so i had a question about some kickers that im looking at. I was wondering if i should get 2 Kicker 12inch Comp Rs in a preloaded kicker ported box or should i buy the subs separately and put them in the sealed box that ive had for a while? The Subs specs are as follows.

12" Dual 2 Ohm CompR (CWR) Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 3200 watts per system / 1600 watts each sub

RMS: 1600 watts per system / 800 watts each sub

I drive a 2009 honda civic lx so I dont have enough room to put a full size ported box in. Nothing bigger than this

Kicker 40DCWR122 Dual 12" Ported CompR (CWR) Loaded Subwoofer

while everyone has an opinion and preference on subs, how bout we not try and push other brands because of our hate on a specific brand. he seems interested in those, which theres nothing wrong with so lets answer his question.
@Komsan6063; if you do not have the room to run a proper size ported enclosure than you need either buy a different quantity of subs, smaller size subs etc. Buying prefab boxes will work in a way, but you will NOT get the best performance out of it. You should either look to drop down to 10's, or go with a single 12.

[quote name='st0n3r']while everyone has an opinion and preference on subs, how bout we not try and push other brands because of our hate on a specific brand. he seems interested in those, which theres nothing wrong with so lets answer his question.
@Komsan6063; if you do not have the room to run a proper size ported enclosure than you need either buy a different quantity of subs, smaller size subs etc. Buying prefab boxes will work in a way, but you will NOT get the best performance out of it. You should either look to drop down to 10's, or go with a single 12.[/QUOTE]

And yet you didn't even answer his original question.

Op you're set on the kickers, the preloaded ported enclosure will give you more output than a sealed box.

[quote name='st0n3r']while everyone has an opinion and preference on subs, how bout we not try and push other brands because of our hate on a specific brand. he seems interested in those, which theres nothing wrong with so lets answer his question.
@Komsan6063; if you do not have the room to run a proper size ported enclosure than you need either buy a different quantity of subs, smaller size subs etc. Buying prefab boxes will work in a way, but you will NOT get the best performance out of it. You should either look to drop down to 10's, or go with a single 12.[/QUOTE]

There is a good reason why kicker gets hated on. Take a look at their facebook page, they have a picture showing 3 subs cut in half. Look how much pointless cover up they have. If I was Kicker I would of not posted that. Its a bit sad really. Kicker has horrible quality, god awful sound quality, no excurrision, no motor force, limited power handeling. They have went down hill more then any other name. The amps are just OK but nothing special in their price bracket. And they are only OK because they do rated power. Thats the only good thing

There is a good reason why kicker gets hated on. Take a look at their facebook page, they have a picture showing 3 subs cut in half. Look how much pointless cover up they have. If I was Kicker I would of not posted that. Its a bit sad really. Kicker has horrible quality, god awful sound quality, no excurrision, no motor force, limited power handeling. They have went down hill more then any other name. The amps are just OK but nothing special in their price bracket. And they are only OK because they do rated power. Thats the only good thing
My solo xs are the complete opposite of what you just said.

You could build or have a box built the same exact size as the one you listed above, but instead for: x2 - 10" Sundown SA-10 D4's which is 3.12^ft3 gross... With .75 mdf, double baffle face, woofer volume accounted for, slot ported to the tune of 35 hz & wind up with approx. 2.2^ft3 Net which would be fine for 2 Sundown SA-10's and I guarantee you that you will be a LOT happier than with those kickers...... Sundown SA-10 D4's = $184.99 ea, you could build a box for about $55 carpeted so figure $425 vs. $399.95 - Spend The extra $25 bux, you will thank yourself in the end... and you can also run @ 1 ohm then which will make it easier to get an amp with adequate power as opposed to the Kicker's 2 ohm final impedance... Plus if you build your own box it will be a good fun learning experience for you

I've ran plenty of different kicker equipment over the years and have never had a problem with any of it. Apparently quality these days means, how much can I abuse my equipment beyond it's actuality ability before it fails. Trust me, throw rated power on any kicker sub and it'll perform fine. Sound quality can subjective and is an entirely different argument. Excursion? Really?

Op, I'd go with the prefab ported enclosure > sealed, but I don't have first hand experience with it. Can you listen to it first?

I've ran plenty of different kicker equipment over the years and have never had a problem with any of it. Apparently quality these days means, how much can I abuse my equipment beyond it's actuality ability before it fails. Trust me, throw rated power on any kicker sub and it'll perform fine. Sound quality can subjective and is an entirely different argument. Excursion? Really?
Op, I'd go with the prefab ported enclosure > sealed, but I don't have first hand experience with it. Can you listen to it first?
Have you heard one of those round side ported kicker pre-fabs? They sound like crap imo,I've heard them in person.... 2 SA-10's would blow that setup out of the water and it's right around the same price point... If OP wants kickers by all means run kickers, but I would build my own enclosure or have one built, those pre-fabs ****

Have you heard one of those round side ported kicker pre-fabs? They sound like crap imo,I've heard them in person.... 2 SA-10's would blow that setup out of the water and it's right around the same price point...
That is if the OP can build a box. Not everybody has the skills or access to the tools to build one, so if he can't, add about $150 to $200 to that price tag.

I agree with the SAs and building your own enclosure, unfortunately I don't think the OP wants to do that. And I already mentioned that I have not heard the prefab ported. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.