keep on melting kappa tweeter

Participant count
  • Participant list

rambassmachine
10+ year member

i have infinity kappa 2-way 6x9s in the doors of my truck, im running them off a eclipse amp giving 125rms per channel, and i keep on melting tweeters on the speaker. i keep the head unit "treb" on no more than + 6db, the guys at the shop i go to are dumbfounded and dont know what to do, they keep on replacing them, but we dont know how to stop the tweeters from burning up?!? please help me out with this, thanks

It sounds to me like thre may be low frequncies reaching the tweeters. I dont know how but you might look and see if they have some sort of crossover cap under the tweeter tower and if it doesnt then I bet thats whats wrong.

125w RMS is a WHOLE lot of power for a 6X9 to take.

Tweets are sensitive to lower tones, yes, but I suspect that it's got more to do with overpowering them, than sending low frequencies.

Yea true your right, 125 rms for any 6x9 is a little much. So much prolly that just the signal to the tweet alone is frying it. And since its only a 2 way it wont have a very high crossover frequncy so they are prolly playing alot of high mids as well.

i installed infinity product for the past 5 years, ur problem is that kappa line. All the infinity line is really weak except for the Perfect Series. I have replaced tons of the kappas for customers probally 100 times, i got boxes of blown speakers i have warrantied.

Ur best bet is to go with a set of the higher end Pioneer 6x9's or cough up the dough and get a set of the Perfect Component Sets. But the way it seems ur system is set up ur better off for the Pioneer 6x9's. The pioneer 6x9s rock, really good sound and it doesnt empty ur wallet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.