Just bought some new subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

8thGenSI
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just got some boston acoustics g5 dual 4 ohm subs, they will be here on friday.

I am going to start the box build today and want to work on the design. I have never worked with these subs and would like to go sealed if I can to save space but I still want to be able to get low. I do not think I can get 4 cubes net into my trunk. Will these subs get somewhat low sealed?

sealed will hit all notes good because only ported boxes are tuned to a certain freq. but if i were u id go ported tuned to 34hz. this will hit the lows good while still sounding good with all other notes. just check the volume needed for each sub in a ported enclosure and work from there.

im sure theres some people that can help you with design and port diameter and stuff like that.

get a pair of the GTR radiators and have the best of both worlds. (increased output and small box size)

and they get low either way..just a bit more output if you go ported or get the radiators.

get a pair of the GTR radiators and have the best of both worlds. (increased output and small box size)
yeah thats also true. the gtr's will give u almost the output a port would but it will also sound a little better as u can tune the gtr to your likings ranging from i think 30hz to like 60hz. most like 30-34hz

I want to go ported if I can, it will take a little design effort to get the volume needed. I have a good size trunk but the opening is to small to get much of a box in there. I want the output of ported, I'm sure with the correct tuning these will get loud and still sound good.

I have enough wood to do 2 boxes, I might just make 1 ported and one sealed and see what I like more. Like I mentioned though, I will have a hard time getting 4 cubes into that trunk.

i would tune the box to 34hz. sounds real good and still hits the lows.
That's what I am thinking, I will post some pics in my build log when I start the box. I am using RE's box calculator to work out the demensions. The box is going to be heavy as hell though.

I dont believe you ever told us what size subs you ordered. If you did, I missed it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If they are 12's, 4 cubes net means more like 1.5 cubes each after port and driver displacement. Im not familiar with the G5, but for most 12's that would be on the small side, which would hurt your low-end output. If you go sealed, or they are 10's, you should have plenty of room though.

Do not skimp on the enclosure design in order to use larger subs, or go ported. In my experience, trying to squeeze two 15's into too small of an enclosure in too small of a trunk (for example) many times performs worse than running two 12's in the optimum box. Not saying you are necessarily doing that here, just warning to keep it in mind.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.