Polyfill! does it realy work?

Xprime4
10+ year member

****in' canadian
I was checking this yesterday and I tough it was worth a mention...

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/11/topic/076651/Number/0/site_id/1

As now, i've got 2 12type r on a bxi1606d in my little accent 99 trunk, tuned at 32hz. I'm using most of its space with a box at 4.6 , something around 4.2 net

I wanted to know if there was a way to get them to play lower note a little louder without switching the box, as i can't do that.

I've been to home depot in quebec, they didn't even know what polyfill was //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif I lost 30minute looking around the shop and nothing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Anybody got experience with that stuff? On the link I provide, they said the subs can see up to 40% more enclosure space by adding around 1.4lbs of polyfill per ft/cu, but for 1.4 ported box

I want to try this as it is supposed to be real cheap and it could be a nice experience to try.

So 4.2 net ported tuned at 32 on two 12 inch type r, how much polyfill should i get?

Where can i get it? Home depot don't have it, but there is a Walmart pretty near too. There is also a place called Bouclair who's sell decoration and pillow.. so maybe:rolleyes:

BTW do you see my avatar? Ca.com says it was to big to upload but doesn't seems like

Yes, what you read was true in most points. General rule of thumb is 1lb of polyfill per cubic foot of box.

Poly-fill can be bought at arts and crafts stores such as Michael's, or walmart and the likes.

yes it works, and is a great solution for needing a bigger box in a small space. Not only does it make the box appear larger acoustically, it also helps with sound dampening

And why aren't people using it more?

That might be the solution to get two 18s sealed later on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

And why aren't people using it more? That might be the solution to get two 18s sealed later on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
yeah, it says polyfil on the bag, its also used as pillow stuffing, and is very inexpensive. I use it in all of my car audio applications.

P.S. if you look at alot of high end home audio systems, they have Polyfil or another type of sound dampening material in the box to aid in SQ

i'll be trying wal mart tommorow, in the craft section. Should i look for polyfill or another brand name?
Get this...

nw0200.jpg

Get this...
nw0200.jpg
doesn't really look hardcore //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

thank's for the info

Anymore comment on your experience with polyfill? Will it really be audible?

lol... it's pillow stuffing, why would it be hardcore? It's not loose like down feathers... it won't get into the woofer. The stuffing slows down the bass waves, making the speaker act like it's in a larger box than it really is... So yes, if you add enough of it, you will notice a difference. I think I paid about $3 or so for a 1 lb. bag of it at Wal-Mart.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.