JL12W7 or JL13W7 running off my Arc Audio KS1000.1??

jmass03
10+ year member

FL
Guys sorry for the annoying threads about "which sub for my amp" but I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a sub and I really want to do it once and do it right. With that said I've really narrowed it down to two subs, or three really. Since I am only running 1 sub off of this amplifier I really want a subwoofer that can hold its own. No doubt, the subwoofers I've chosen - all have good reviews, it simply comes down to price, budget, and how much room I have to spare. I am looking for some SQ with the right blend of SPL. I listen to all genres of music. The subwoofer will be mounted in a custom box in the place of my rear center console between my captains chairs. Haven't decided if it will be downfiring or front firing but I'm leaning towards down firing since it will be so close to the passengers and not in the trunk (need my trunk for the utility). Also, I will not be going for a ported box since I am leaning more towards SQ.

The three subs I have narrowed it down to is:

IDMax12 - $300 on Ebay/$450 new

JL12W7 - $350-400 on Ebay/$425-$450 new

JL13W7 - $375 (Lightly used)

So basically, right now I'm sort of leaning towards the JL W7's. I own a JL12W7 that I have in a sealed box in my boat (soon to be ported) running off of a Kicker ZX1000.1 and it's a fantastic subwoofer. A little on the power hungry side of course.

So any thoughts guys? Will these W7's be happy with my KS1000.1 or are they truly happy with a JL1000/1?

Here are the specs on my my KS1000.1:

Power output RMS @ 4 ohms: 1 x 850 watts

Power output RMS @ 2 ohms: 1 x 1000 watts

Power output RMS @ 1 ohm: 1 x 1000 watts

Transient Distortion (400W): Frequency Response: 20Hz - 250Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio (A wtg.): >112dB

Bass Boost: +15dB@10-125Hz

Crossover (Butterworth): 30Hz - 250Hz variable 24dB

Fuse: 30A x 2

Size: 15.0 1/2"(L) x 8.0"(W) x 2 3/8"(H)

Or should I screw them all, and pay $290 bucks for an FI Q and call it a day? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

this^^ or dc and I had 13 w7 and wasnt impresed at all!
wasnt impressed with what? It clearly has more sq than a fi Q or anything that DC sells. And i dont wanna hear this BS "its all in the box." A w7 in the perfect box will sound better than a Q in the perfect box.

Price wise yes fi and dc wins. But everyone talks like the sub is a piece of **** or something. JL makes some nice ****. I wont pay that amount of money for it but if op has the money to blow then dont knock a company for nothing...not saying you dont like it but Im just wondering what you didnt like about it versus a dc or fi sub other than the money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Dont mean to bud in at all, but

I'd love to include the JBL GTI in there. You can get it in a 12 or 15", whichever you prefer. It'll also LOVE the 1000w RMS the amplifier will give it. I would choose this driver over the w7, but cant comment vs the IDMAX

wasnt impressed with what? It clearly has more sq than a fi Q or anything that DC sells. And i dont wanna hear this BS "its all in the box." A w7 in the perfect box will sound better than a Q in the perfect box.
Price wise yes fi and dc wins. But everyone talks like the sub is a piece of **** or something. JL makes some nice ****. I wont pay that amount of money for it but if op has the money to blow then dont knock a company for nothing...not saying you dont like it but Im just wondering what you didnt like about it versus a dc or fi sub other than the money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I am not knocking the company! I did try it both seald and ported and wasnt happy with it. so moved on with more powerful subs and it is up to dude to decied what direction he wants to go

Dont mean to bud in at all, but
I'd love to include the JBL GTI in there. You can get it in a 12 or 15", whichever you prefer. It'll also LOVE the 1000w RMS the amplifier will give it. I would choose this driver over the w7, but cant comment vs the IDMAX
Agreed. Those GTIs are some pretty good sounding subs.

You do know a ported box tuned right can have more SQ than a sealed box right...and it will be louder? It also has to do with what sub you pick.

Fi Q +/- BP option> JL W7

So if I threw the FI Q out of the mix and went with the JL W7 - my original question still stands. Will they be happy with my amplifier? Does the motto stand, "It'll work, but that'll work better (that - referring to the JL 1000/1). Does the 13W7 really need way more than the 1000 watts my amp is willing to give? Would I be better suited for the JL12W7?

You do know a ported box tuned right can have more SQ than a sealed box right...and it will be louder? It also has to do with what sub you pick.
Fi Q +/- BP option> JL W7
I'm not really familiar going the proper tuning frequencies of the ported box. Also, I don't really think that I have enough room in the center console for a proper port.

If you can get the 13w7 for $375, theres your answer!

Forget $$ for a sec, all things being equal will Fi or DC outperform a w7..??..??

I know some subs may have better sq, some sub may have better spl, but what sub hands down has a better blend of both then a w7?

Will I drop $800 for a new 13w7, hell to the naw but thats the ONLY reason, not performance!

Yes your amp will work!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.