Jl W0 vs Kicker L7

Nauc I have to ask...While that site is good for the information why do a subwoofer gain set with a 50hz? Everyone has been going to a 40hz for a long time now. Just being curious is all.

Also lots of us are now using tone generators via bluetooth that work flawlessly. Been doing mine that way since it came out and never an issue.

about the 50hz, if i had to guess, its right in the middle of 20 and 80. 20 being the lowest fq people usually can hear, 80 being the xover point a lot of people use

not sure if using 40 or 50 will really matter. both will probably give very similar results (or identical) unless you have a big spike in your fq response

about the tone generators, as long as its accurate.

and idk if bluetooth can screw up the accuracy. can it affect output? i have no idea

Fi Xv'3 are still at 209 plus shipping and they should be taking orders soon. Those are 1000 watts rms and can be built with a second spider as well for free. They have been showing out of stock because of a ton of orders and they had a covid issue a few months back. But something else to consider as well. I looked at the FU 750 those are nice subwoofers for the price.

i just built up a 12" Fi Xv3 for home theater. sub is slick. i got the dry carbon dust cap. took 3 months to get it tho, but i think it was worth it. tho not sure how long it would take if ordered today. got it hooked up to a Dayton 1,000 plate amp

Last edited:
i just built up a 12" Fi Xv3 for home theater. sub is slick. i got the dry carbon dust cap. took 3 months to get it tho, but i think it was worth it. tho not sure how long it would take if ordered today. got it hooked up to a Dayton 1,000 plate amp

View attachment 30383

View attachment 30384

View attachment 30385

View attachment 30386

If you buy me a Fi IB3 18, I will build a t-line for my home and put it in my small bedroom and play it at full tilt and post a video. My house is hurricane proof, it should pressurize very well :p

about the 50hz, if i had to guess, its right in the middle of 20 and 80. 20 being the lowest fq people usually can hear, 80 being the xover point a lot of people use

not sure if using 40 or 50 will really matter. both will probably give very similar results (or identical) unless you have a big spike in your fq response

about the tone generators, as long as its accurate.

and idk if bluetooth can screw up the accuracy. can it affect output? i have no idea

Bluetooth can have a way lower bitrate than say a CD or USB device. I'm not sure what the bitrate is now days or on any specific model, but usually wireless information is lower quality than hard wired information, and has less signal interference problems (because it's hard wired, not traveling through the air like all other signals are too).

So lower bitrate = lower RCA votlage coming out of your radio or processor, whatever you use, less signal voltage going into the amp.

I never set gains with test tones or bluetooth. I always do it by ear with wired in music. If you're playing music, test tones aren't an accurate representation of how the box is going to act throughout it's whole playable bandwidth. Test tones are usually a higher dB level than their musical counterparts, and music isn't a tone, and complex and varying AC waves reproduce very differently than sine AC waves, especially in a ported box, where the electrical properties of the sub can greatly vary, depending on many factors. Too many factors to just trust a test tone burp. I hope I'm replying in the proper context.

If you buy me a Fi IB3 18, I will build a t-line for my home and put it in my small bedroom and play it at full tilt and post a video. My house is hurricane proof, it should pressurize very well :p

ok, soon as i get my Lambo :LOL:

Bluetooth can have a way lower bitrate than say a CD or USB device. I'm not sure what the bitrate is now days or on any specific model, but usually wireless information is lower quality than hard wired information, and has less signal interference problems (because it's hard wired, not traveling through the air like all other signals are too).

So lower bitrate = lower RCA votlage coming out of your radio or processor, whatever you use, less signal voltage going into the amp.

I never set gains with test tones or bluetooth. I always do it by ear with wired in music. If you're playing music, test tones aren't an accurate representation of how the box is going to act throughout it's whole playable bandwidth. Test tones are usually a higher dB level than their musical counterparts, and music isn't a tone, and complex and varying AC waves reproduce very differently than sine AC waves, especially in a ported box, where the electrical properties of the sub can greatly vary, depending on many factors. Too many factors to just trust a test tone burp. I hope I'm replying in the proper context.

theres this too... "However, Bluetooth connections aren't lossless"

from... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

about the test tones, i start with those and go from there

theres this too... "However, Bluetooth connections aren't lossless"

from... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183

about the test tones, i start with those and go from there

I just start with rap music lol. I mean, it's just usually two crossovers and a gain. There's not much to it. You put your radio max settings on, or whatever the highest bass related settings are that you would ever use, and you set the gain and crossovers from there while playing music. There's so much variation in music, I actually tune to slightly clipped bass music, because a lot of heavy bass music is or can be clipped. Tuning someone else's system, that helps make sure your tuning has accounted for the variations in the actual music file audio. Songs widely vary in their own strength in output, which effectively changes your gain settings. So you have to tune for that.

I tune using -5db tones at 3/4 volume. It’s loud enough When I reach 2/3 of that number. Probably leaving some on the table but I don’t want any clipping

I have tuned before using the Metallica and justice for all album it’s pretty similar to what I’m doing now I don’t like to annoy people so I don’t crank it all the time

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...