JL Gain set correct?

if you're setting a sub amp you should be using somewhere around 50hz, 1khz is more for speakers.
I should have specified but I thought the 300/2 would have given it away. The 300/2 is hooked to a set of Focal KRX2 2ohm component set.

I set my Alpine 9887 to volume level 26 and set the gains to the 2ohm setting per the JL instructions 17.3V on a 300/2 V2. Just doesnt seem like I get enough volume on some recordings. Did I set the gain right? Used a 1khz tone.
I owned a JL Audio Slash v2 500/1 for a time and when I set the voltage up per the JL Audio manual I too found that after using my DMM and the test tones ( I have an Alpine 9887 too by the way...good choice! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ) and then played some music, it sounded way to low.

I called tech support for JL Audio and they told me to put it my favorite tunes, crank it up to the loudest you would typically listen to it, put the DMM back on the speaker outputs and watch the voltage on the heaviest bass notes (I was using the amp for my subs). I did this with both the speakers connected and disconnected. Worked like a charm as I noted that I could turn the dial up almost 1/3+ higher and still not top the max voltage number they list in the manual.

The tech rep indicated that those numbers are guidelines and that typically people are not going to hit those numbers.

The "JL method" is very conservative, as music has a crest factor & sine waves do not, you'll never reach the duty cycle of a 0db sine wave w/ music. Unless you're significantly overpowering your speakers, clipping isn't typically a problem till it's audible. Ignore the "JL method" & set gains by ear.

Always remember...not all recordings have the same sound quality !!! So, pick your cleanest CD that you have,preferred..a good store bought CD,not a burned CD...Alpine50

Always remember...not all recordings have the same sound quality !!! So, pick your cleanest CD that you have,preferred..a good store bought CD,not a burned CD...Alpine50
I think you're trying to say that all titles aren't mastered at the same level. And, what's wrong with burned CDs anyway? FWIW, most of the recording that I play in the car are on burned CDs, because I don't like subjecting the originals to a mobile environment. They're bit-for-bit transfers via EAC. Hell, even the lowest apps can burn disks that are very high quality. Lossy media is another story.

The "JL method" is very conservative, as music has a crest factor & sine waves do not, you'll never reach the duty cycle of a 0db sine wave w/ music. Unless you're significantly overpowering your speakers, clipping isn't typically a problem till it's audible. Ignore the "JL method" & set gains by ear.
Dittos...I have spoken to JL Audio on this subject and they state the same thing. I'd set it by ear and maybe have a DMM attached to the speaker outs just to see what type of peak voltage you get...just remember to set it to AC and unlike a test tone, that voltage is going to really jump around when you play your tunes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.