JL 6w3v3 underseat midbass madness

NSTALN
10+ year member

Dismember
2010 Nissan Rogue, dual JL Audio 6w3v3 4ohm.

Pics:

qsjxn4.jpg

vgppbn.jpg

28b6x4i.jpg

nf3deh.jpg

20j05qd.jpg

2dtp0ud.jpg

ever thought about tactile transducers?
I gave them a little thought…but I already had the 6w3's…I've never heard/felt TT's in action.

Half of the reason I did this project was just to see if I could actually pull it off.

These are kind of an omen of things to come with this install…I was able to squeeze these under the seats…

…next project will be to somehow pack (2) JL 900/5's, (2) small Kinetik batteries, (2) ginormous AudioFrog crossovers, 4way power and ground distro, 15 inch TC1000 w/glassed sealed box…all under a false floor…while KEEPING the spare tire and jack etc.

…that is going to be a real fuckin challenge.

Pretty neat install on those lil itty bitty subs there NSTALN.....not very often you see midbasses under the seats.

Have you tested them out yet?

Pretty neat install on those lil itty bitty subs there NSTALN.....not very often you see midbasses under the seats.
Have you tested them out yet?
Thanks…they were a bisch to get in…the drivers side hit a small snag as I didn't account for the electric seat motor it has that the passenger side does not

As a result the DS box isn't in the car at the moment…but with just the single 6w3 playing its really a different experience.

They are subwoofers but they're quite small and the boxes are quite small (.2 cubes)…as you can imagine the low-end roll-off is naturally quite high (somewhere in the 40's maybe 50's) so they're not ground-pounders…but they really fill out the lower portion of the mid bass…and give it some 'oomph' that door mounted drivers can't always deliver as well as really bringing the bass much more up-front…kick-drum impacts are instant and tactile…and are really omni-directional.

I know that proper TA of the sub and standard midbass can make bass appear up-front…but this just feels/sounds different…and so far even with limited testing I'm really pleased with the extra presence it provides.

Thanks…they were a bisch to get in…the drivers side hit a small snag as I didn't account for the electric seat motor it has that the passenger side does not
As a result the DS box isn't in the car at the moment…but with just the single 6w3 playing its really a different experience.

They are subwoofers but they're quite small and the boxes are quite small (.2 cubes)…as you can imagine the low-end roll-off is naturally quite high (somewhere in the 40's maybe 50's) so they're not ground-pounders…but they really fill out the lower portion of the mid bass…and give it some 'oomph' that door mounted drivers can't always deliver as well as really bringing the bass much more up-front…kick-drum impacts are instant and tactile…and are really omni-directional.

I know that proper TA of the sub and standard midbass can make bass appear up-front…but this just feels/sounds different…and so far even with limited testing I'm really pleased with the extra presence it provides.
Thats cool as hell and an awesome idea. How thick do you have too make the fiberglass ? Sure beats trying to make them work in doors I bet. Keep us posted when you get them both in. Nice work!

Thats cool as hell and an awesome idea. How thick do you have too make the fiberglass ? Sure beats trying to make them work in doors I bet. Keep us posted when you get them both in. Nice work!
Thanks…not sure how many layers…4-5ish…the glassed area is about 1/4 thick.

Bloody well done.
Thank you sir!

I'm really looking forward to having both of the 6w3's and the TC1k running....but time, $$, weather keeps delaying more work.

Why can't the world revolve around me feeding my car audio obsession?

Is that really too much to ask?

Very nice what you plan to do after these are done?
Well...the plan (at the moment and always subject to change because I'm crazy) is:

I currently have AudioFrog GB25's in custom pods in my sail panels, I also have AF GB10 tweets in custom spherical pods on me A-pillars (each set of drivers is run through AF GB2510c passive crossovers).

I am running a pair of AF GS693's (midbass only) in the front doors and a single Audiomobile MASS 12 sealed for sub duty...all this powered by a JL 900/5 and processed by an Alpine PXA-H800 and factory Bose head unit.

As good as it sounds at the moment what always bugged me is that people like to tune to the drivers head position....well this sounds great if you're the one driving...it sounds 'off' to everyone else in the car. So it's kinda hard to show-off/demo your 'amazing' multi-thousand $$ stereo...that only sounds good from one spot.

There has been quite a bit of chatter in car audio forums about surround sound and creating a soundstage for both of the front seats utilizing a center channel and surround sound capable processor. So I decided to try that route...

My Rogue Bose stereo has a factory provision for a 3.5 inch center speaker...with a lil modification I was able to fit an AF GS42. I have a set of AF GS62's for rear fill (I have yet to install those in the rear doors). I will be moving the GB25's into the upper door area (see pics here: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/626818-audiofrog-audiomobile-jl-audio-knu-concepts-false-floor-sub-enclosure.html ) and moving the GB10tweets and pods to the sail panel. I will be replacing the GS693's with GS60's(at some point). I will be replacing the 12 inch Audiomobile with a 15 inch TC1000. I'll be adding a second JL 900/5hd for power and I'll need to add a couple small batteries to support it all.

On the processing side of things I will have 8 channels to work with and Alpine divides the surround as follows:RT FT high, RT FT low, LT FT high, LT FT low, center, RT rear, LT rear, sub. So I'm gonna have to get a little creative...

The FT RT and LT high will drive the GB25's/10's, the center will cover the GS42, the FT RT and LT low will drive the GS693's, the rears will drive the GS62 pair and the sub signal will be split to both of the 900/5s' sub channels. One of the sub channels will power the TC1000 15, the other sub channel will power the 6w3's under the seats.

So (2) amps, (8) channels, (12) speakers.

Pics of the recently modified center:

28kk6eh.jpg

2vwa1d5.jpg

2n10mh.jpg

2uzt7x1.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.