jl 12w3v3 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

murph
10+ year member

Low for Life
Richmond,VA
Review of Subwoofer or Speaker:

This is my first review and i'm going to be dead honest. I have one jl 12w3v3 in a 1.75 ported box hooked up to a slash 250 1 (old style). At first when I got it installed I was very unhappy because I was unaware of how they set the gain. It sounded very clean and very sq geared at the current amp setting. It had no distortion and hit lowish but was not loud in anyway, shape or form. A few days later I looked at my gain and saw it was turned a 1/4 of the way up. I instantly started to reset the gain to some songs.

The gain was set just a little above half way with little audible distortion (at least from my ear). It was bumping hard for one 12 in sub now and got nice and low. I was impressed and had no remorse for going the jl way. Now two weeks down the line roughly giving the sub 240-280rms (subs butterzone rms is 300) it started to fail on me. The sub started stinking up the car and I had to go back to the audio shop to have them ddm up this *****.

The ddm setting was actually a little higher then what I had it set to and had no idea why such a nice sub would act like this. 3 days later the sub just bottomed out and I was completely angry with it. I went back to the audio shop again for them to inspect the sub and get it fixed. The sub needed a recone and they did not understand why this happened.

So to give you the bottom line of at least the w3 series it is no sql sub and should not be given much power in a ported box... imo Honestly I know i'm gonna be bashed from this review type thread but this line of subs will never be a spl kind of sub. I do though think if you love sq and sealed boxes this is the sub for you. This is all my opinion and I am not a hater of jl and have no bias toward any other company.

User error.
This

I had a 12w1v2-4 in 2.07 cu/ft tuned to 35hz and it did fine hooked up to an amp rated for 534rms. The tune was a little high so it lacked on the bottom end a little but the box I ran it in was originally designed for a different sub. JLs are worth buying used, not new though.

figured out it was a problem with my hu... anyways after that was fixed I was still dissatisfied with the sub based on the price and how it performed. Honestly I was just unimpressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

murph

10+ year member
Low for Life
murph
Richmond,VA
Start date
Participants