JVC KD-SH1000 Details.

Participant count
  • Participant list

thehardknoxlife
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
JVC KD-SH1000

I figure I'll do a write up on the most important features of this unit since it's a great budget deck. They can be found as low as $110 shipped. Which is amazing considering the features.

Let's start off with the network crossover. To activate the x-over mode, the unit must be turned off. You then hold ^ + v + eject buttons at the same time. Then use the knob to turn it on/off. After that, navigate to the Menu and then SEL.

Crossover

It's your basic 3 way crossover. Front HPF, Rear Bandpass (HPF+LPF), and Subwoofer LPF. There is not a phase shift option.

All channels have 0db -6db -12db -18db slopes.

The unit uses the Front HPF setting as the Rear LPF setting. You cannot over/underlap. Once you set one of them it automatically sets the other.

Front HPF/Rear LPF settings:

1.6khz 2khz 2.5khz 3.2khz 4khz 5khz 6.3khz 8khz 10khz 12.5khz 16khz

Rear HPF settings:

31.5hz 40hz 50hz 63hz 80hz 100hz 125hz 160hz 200hz

You have to navigate to the Subwoofer option via SEL to change the Sub x-over options

Subwoofer LPF settings:

31.5hz 40hz 50hz 63hz 80hz 100hz 125hz 160hz 200hz

Equalizer

The unit has a selectable 9 band graphic EQ, or a 3 band parametric EQ.

Parametric EQ settings:

Band 1:

20hz 25hz 31.5hz 40hz 50hz 63hz 80hz 100hz 125hz 160hz 200hz 250hz

Band 2:

1khz 1.2khz 1.6khz 2khz

Band 3:

8khz 10khz 12.5khz 16khz 20khz

All bands have a selectable Q values of 0.7 1 2 3 4 5, as well as frequency boost/cut from -10 to +10

Graphic EQ settings:

9 bands

63hz 125hz 250hz 500hz 1khz 2khz 4khz 8khz 12.5khz

All have frequency boost/cut from -10 to +10

Time Alignment (DSM)

When in network mode it automatically sets itself to defeat, meaning you have to manually adjust the settings yourself instead of using the pre-set.

It has measurements in either cm or inches, adjustments are in 5cm increments or 2 inch increments . To change from one to the other hold the display button while in the DSM menu.

Other features

Amp Gain

High PWR

Unit uncaps volume to 50/50

Low PWR

Unit caps volume at 30/50

Off

Turn off internal amp

Volume ADJ

Adjusts volume of each source from -5 to +5

Subwoofer Volume

Adjust sub volume from 0 to 10

USB

I figure I should mention this since I've read the unit can only read up to 4gb memory sticks. I use a 8gb Cruzer Fit fully stored, and it has no problem reading all the files on it.

I've also read that it is slow to load files from the USB. With the stick I'm using it loads in under 10 seconds. It depends on the stick being used on how fast it loads. I tried a cheap Transcend 8gb stick and it took between 20 to 30 seconds to load.

File Search

To search through folders without navigating through each one you have to go to menu, then mode, then list. After that you can use the arrow buttons to navigate to the desired folder. It's a pain IMO.

SD card

I have not used this feature, but the manual says it can only read up to 4gb. It also says that about the USB stick and that was wrong.

I just noticed while looking at the JVC site it says this in the foot notes about the SD slot.

"Compatible with up to 32GB SDHC and up to 2GB SD "

JVC KD-SH-1000

Overall this is a great unit with a lot of features considering the price. If anyone has any question I'll be glad to answer anything about it other than "how's the SQ". I'll just say it sounds good and would hard to beat at the price point.

If anyone has anything to add I'll be glad to edit into my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
JVC KD-SH1000
Other features

Amp Gain

High PWR

Unit uncaps volume to 50/50

Low PWR

Unit caps volume at 30/50

Off

Turn off internal amp
so, which do we use for our own amps? turn off internal amp? then what does the volume go up to? or are those independent settings?

so, which do we use for our own amps? turn off internal amp? then what does the volume go up to? or are those independent settings?
When you set it to "off" it turns off everything even the RCA output. I have no idea what that feature is even for. I only tried it once and said to myself that's a useless option. Most decks with that option turns off the speaker line outputs and leave the RCA's working......What I do is set my gain with it in high pwr mode (37/50), then I put it into low pwr mode for daily use until I want to turn it up full tilt.

I had this deck in my truck since about 2006. A few observations about the memory compatibility. Anything larger than a 512MB (MEGABYTE SD card) is not seen. You can use a 4GB SD card in it, but it will not see more than about 200 songs which is equivelant to about a 512MB SD card at medium bit rate. Same sort of thing with the USB stick. I've tried Corsair, Sandisk, and others and it is also limited on number of songs, not memory size. The manual actually mentions the max number of songs per media type... this is more important than the size of the media you're using.

Ever since I got this deck, I always felt it was lacking in bass compared to the factory radio. I'm not running an amp or anything but upgraded the speakes about a year ago and was still disappointed. A couple months ago the started to randomly go blank but the illumination would stay on. The tunes would usually continue to play and sometimes the screen would come back and display "Connect Error". I checked the pins in the faceplate and wiring harness and all tested fine. Then it quit turning off with the ignition key... illumination would stay on, screen would shut off, but it was obviously still running since it ran the battery dead over the weekend. I pulled it out and put the factory radio back in and the sound is MUCH better. I realized after removing the stereo that my daughter's CD was still in it so i had to hook it back up last night to eject it. While I was at it, i tried everything under the sun to make it sound better and just couldn't. Maybe they just expected anyone that bought it would use an amp, but without one, i wasn't pleased.

BTW, if anyone's curious about the parametric EQ, i made a youtube video of it. tack this on to the end of the u tube link: ?v=pYOxS1tr4MA

I have well over 1,000.
and you can find any of them no problem when searching for them? This is a possible unit for me, this or the new pioneer 8400bh. i need usb lol plus the rear aux is a nice add.

Have you tryed connecting a smart phone via usb cord?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

thehardknoxlife

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
thehardknoxlife
Knoxville, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies