Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok I have a 95 GC and its 4wd all the time and its killin me in gas, isnt there something i could do or take off to make the front wheels stop spinning all the time? We dont have much bad weather down here and I dont go off-roading im just looking to get some better gas mileage, thanks for any input:)

The main thing you could do is swap out the original Full time 4WD Gear Box with a Select-Trac Gear Box.

This way you would still have 4WD Capabilities, but could also drop into 2WD for better gas mileage.

It's a fairly common and straight forward swap if your reasonably mechanically inclined.

http://www.jeepforum.com

Several folks there have done a similar swap, so it wouldn't hurt to drop in and have a look.

removing you front driveline would be the most cost effective way to achieve your goal...but, you will not have 4wd in the case a storm moves through your town and your front axle will still have a ton of rotating assembly being unneccisarily spun(hurting you fuel mileage).

the best(expensive) was of fixing you fuel burning woes would be getting a set of hubs you could unlock and a shiftable transfer case.

I would honestly just go buy a cheap gas saver. Thats what I did. My trooper gets around 15-16 mpg and I got a 93 saturn sl2 and I get 35 mpg. What a huge diffrence this makes. And Insurance only went up about $30 a month.As right I have had the car for almost 2 months and it has almost paid its self off in what I have saved. Going to work when I am workn and not laid off cost was about 130. In the saturn it was around like $45 or something each week. And you can buy a saturn like this for under 1k on ebay most of the time in decent shape. They dont really rust out :0)

Thats what I plan on doing, I didnt want a little 4 cyl honda or anything because I didnt want a rice burner and I thought id have all this power with the v8 but its not like I can use it, I have to obey the speed limit ya know. One of my buddys let me drive his 4 cyl prelude the other day with just a muffler and a cold air intake and it really suprised me how well it went and he said "I get 35 miles a gallon" so when I get a job that will be the thing I look into getting.

My saturn is stock, and that thing really has some pickup. I was really impressed because the light weight etc it gets up and goes. The problem I have is I have always owned trucks and suv's. This is really like my 2nd car I have ever owned. I just dont like them in the winter thats why I kept my suv. But to be honest I drive the car and have only driven the suv like 8 times now since I have had the car for almost 2 months.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.