Issue with Static

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bl4d3

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all

I have a bit of a weird problem that isn't exactly a ground loop but sort of is.

Specs :
2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatch
OEM Headunit (not MyLink touchscreen unit, base unit)
JBL GTO609C Components
JBL GX-A604 Amp
Unknown Targa 12" Sub (waiting for lockdown to lift so I can get a JBL sub)

The issue :
When ever a light is turned on, I get a bit of static through the speakers. The amp is wired using the built in high to low converter.
Without no lights on and engine running, there is no static. If I press brake, use an indicator or switch on my headlights, I get a faint static through the speakers.

The static does not increase with volume and does not change in pitch with engine revs.

The car has a chime system and artificial indicator relay clicks that are played through the speakers, there is no way of bypassing this.

What could the problem be?

I have rechecked all connections, I have changed the ground to a better point as well and ensured proper ground connection

I've had some cheap RCAs that did that in the past on me.Could be a bad ground for sure,ground wire not large enough or good grounding location for the amp( should be same size or larger than power wire) If you have a Pioneer hu and installed the RCAs with HU on it's possible you blew that Pico fuse in that HU. Called hot swapping can't do that on majority of those hu. Check all ground again free of paint at mounting point and security and all connections.Then I'd check RCAs. Maybe upgrade to a newer set with better shielding. Got start somewhere to find the culprit

Thanks for that.

Im not using RCA's. The amp is connected using high level inputs.
I have an OEM radio which is why the amp is wired in using the high level inputs.

I checked the ground earlier today, sanded it thoroughly and tested the ground connection. The ground is not the issue.

Yeah doesn't sound like a ground issue. Sounds like some kind of interference tapping into the signal. So you have absolutely no RCA's in your entire system? You have to make sure there is no type of power wire close to your signal or speaker wire.. that would cause a problem like this.

Yeah doesn't sound like a ground issue. Sounds like some kind of interference tapping into the signal. So you have absolutely no RCA's in your entire system? You have to make sure there is no type of power wire close to your signal or speaker wire.. that would cause a problem like this.
Now that you mention it, I recall running the left speaker signal along the left side of the vehicle with the power cable, this is most where is picking up interference from. Time to rewire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.