Issue with Alpine Type E's & Tough decision making soon to come

Participant count
  • Participant list

pman44
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have pretty much been out of the CA scene for the past 2 years and decided why not pay a quick trip back to the forum! Yikes, took me 10 min to try and remember my username and password!

Anyway, a buddy of mine has a pair of Alpine Type E 12"s in a 4.0^3 sealed and a Alpine MRP500 amp. About a month after installation we had to solder the tinsel lead for one of the woofers -- Worked like a charm ever since. A month after that, same thing with the other woofer.

Just a few nights ago they both stop working. I check out all the wiring, fuses, lights (protect, power, etc.), battery, and HU settings. Nothing. We take out the subs and all the wiring and soldered tinsel leads look fine. Nothing unusual looking, no smoke, no smell.

However, what we did notice was when I pushed down on the cone there was some output. Same with the other sub. We got some output only when we pushed down on the cone.

I remember reading a thread about a similar issue, but it was like 2 1/2-3 years ago and searched like crazy to find it or anything that would help figure this out...but couldn't seem to get an answer. I have a DMM and have been trying to get a reading from each sub, but my buddy has been working. For the meantime I figured I'd see if anyone had an idea...

As far as the "tough decision making"...I'm on the brink of taking out my setup (2 SDC2.5 15"s in 8.1^3 @ 38hz w/ AQ1200D). Awesome daily setup! I put those things through a ton of abuse the past couple years and they never showed signs of letting down. Great stuff DJ! But yea, I'm moving and need trunk space...so I think it's time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Has anyone had to let a setup they enjoyed go?

Regard, Pman

if i had a dime for every set up i loved that i had to let go, i would be a millionaire dude.. i feel your pain. as far as your boys type e's pull them out... lol

if i had a dime for every set up i loved that i had to let go, i would be a millionaire dude.. i feel your pain. as far as your boys type e's pull them out... lol
Haha, yea. It's pretty tough!

We got his 2 Type E's for $130. We figure if it's going to cost us more to fix em, he might as well save for new subs.

Haha, yea. It's pretty tough!

We got his 2 Type E's for $130. We figure if it's going to cost us more to fix em, he might as well save for new subs.

what do you mean, when you pushed on the cone their was some output...
We played music at about low to mid volume, and watched for any movement. Then I put some pressure on it (pushed in) and then I could feel some vibration coming from the subs. But when I let go and lightly put my hand on it, got nothing...it would be as if they weren't even hooked up.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards, Pman.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.