Is This Acceptable??

Frāmrāt

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I am a brand new member and as such I would like to show respect to all the other members by saying hello and it's nice to be a part of the group. I would also like to preface this post by saying I know this is a budget build but it is all I can afford right now, so please go easy on my setup. I have a kenwood kac 9152d HU with two 12" Power Acoustik Gothic series subwoofers, powers by 2 Power Acoustik RZR1 2500D amplifiers set at 650 watts (36V) rms on each sub in a shared space, ported enclosure tuned to 35hz. I have 4AWG power from battery split to 8AWG at distribution block with 80a fuses on each side. I have 4 AWG ground wire split to 8AWG at distribution block with 30a fuses on each side. I know I don't need a fused ground distribution block but...just in case. I did the big 3 upgrade as my alternator is only 100ampers (HO on the way). My question is...is this setup acceptable and safe the way I have it or should I change anything? Any and all ideas are welcome. Thank you.

Since your running 2 amps I would suggest a relay as well for the remote wire. Running 2 amps on one remote wire can fry your head unit. Look on YouTube for a guide but it is really simple.

You mean a on/off switch?

For power and ground I ran it into my distribution block and just used the head unit remote wire as the trigger.

You mean a on/off switch?
No, a relay but IMO it is unnecessary for only a few amps. Head unit remote turnon should suffice and any name brand head unit these days will just go into protect if you do short or overload the remote turnon lead. The days of smoking that on a head unit are long gone I think.

No, a relay but IMO it is unnecessary for only a few amps. Head unit remote turnon should suffice and any name brand head unit these days will just go into protect if you do short or overload the remote turnon lead. The days of smoking that on a head unit are long gone I think.

I disagree, why wouldn't you spend a extra ten bucks or less and 5 minutes of work for a relay.

I disagree, why wouldn't you spend a extra ten bucks or less and 5 minutes of work for a relay.
Because your 10$ relay probably draws more current than two or three amplifier rem.

This was interesting to me and I had a spare RF Punch P1000X5 laying around to test it on.

20200722_190035.jpg

20200722_190027.jpg

20200722_190041.jpg

I don't believe .0173Ax2 (.0346A) will damage any internal transistor relays in the HU, and it certainly won't damage any magnetic relays in the HU. This amp is less efficient than class D's as well, so their focus wasn't power draw. I think we're safe with new amps.

This was interesting to me and I had a spare RF Punch P1000X5 laying around to test it on.

View attachment 22571
View attachment 22570
View attachment 22572

I don't believe .0173Ax2 (.0346A) will damage any internal transistor relays in the HU, and it certainly won't damage any magnetic relays in the HU. This amp is less efficient than class D's as well, so their focus wasn't power draw. I think we're safe with new amps.
Someone who actually does testing and invests in the proper equipment to do so instead of talking out of their you know what, kudos.

<3 amplifiers usually is just fine off the HU. I like to split mine off of my DSP and HU. If you have a LOC or DSP with a secondary remote out you can use that to split the load.

If you're running 2 amps for mids and 2 big 8k amps on subs that's when I'd consider a relay necessary.

Someone who actually does testing and invests in the proper equipment to do so instead of talking out of their you know what, kudos.

<3 amplifiers usually is just fine off the HU. I like to split mine off of my DSP and HU. If you have a LOC or DSP with a secondary remote out you can use that to split the load.

If you're running 2 amps for mids and 2 big 8k amps on subs that's when I'd consider a relay necessary.
Yeah I don't have access to any big amps but you can tell it's a magnetic relay by how they click, I imagine they draw more as the size of the amp RMS power increases since the contacts are going to be bigger.

So that amp's rem turnon draws 17.3mA, Head units will output 300-500mA and a 12V relay draws around 150mA.

Yeah I don't have access to any big amps but you can tell it's a magnetic relay by how they click, I imagine they draw more as the size of the amp RMS power increases since the contacts are going to be bigger.

There may be a mechanical relay in an amplifier but that is NOT what is being activated by the Rem wire. That would most certainly be just used to "switch" a transistor or some other solid state switch that tells the amp to power up.

So that amp's rem turnon draws 17.3mA, Head units will output 300-500mA and a 12V relay draws around 150mA.

There may be a mechanical relay in an amplifier but that is NOT what is being activated by the Rem wire. That would most certainly be just used to "switch" a transistor or some other solid state switch that tells the amp to power up.
I believe that it's a chain from transistor to mechanical relay to reduce the power required by the HU.

But if you ever upgrade or add anything it will need to be done. But this is my opinion on it. I have mine wired that way and have no issues and just prefer it that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.