is this a bad idea?

Participant count
  • Participant list

maljr1980
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
so i came up with a thought about running a 1" tweeter and 2.5" midrange in kick panels, 5,1/4" drivers in the front doors, 8" mid bass woofers in the rear doors, and a pair of 12's for sub duty. use a 4 channel amp to power the tweeters and 8's, and another 4 channel to power the 2.5's and 5 1/4's, that way i can set low and high pass filters on all of the speakers, with a monoblock amp running each sub. I guess it would be a 5 way active system. so would subs and a 4 way component setup be a good or bad idea

the idea behind it is to have more drivers play smaller bandwidths, which they are more inclined to reproduce. theory is they should be able to play louder and handle more power without distorting. thats the problem i had with a 2 way comp setup, if i wanted loud out of it, i had to low pass the mids at 250 hz or they would distort before they got loud enough for my liking. i just figured if i was going to run a 6.5/3/1 3way up front and a coaxial in the rear, why not just throw a larger midbass in the back

The reason you shouldn't put the midbass speakers in the back is because they are reproducing frequencies that can be localized and as a result will pull your image towards their location. Even with advanced processing, it will still be a tuning nightmare.

the idea behind it is to have more drivers play smaller bandwidths, which they are more inclined to reproduce. theory is they should be able to play louder and handle more power without distorting. thats the problem i had with a 2 way comp setup, if i wanted loud out of it, i had to low pass the mids at 250 hz or they would distort before they got loud enough for my liking. i just figured if i was going to run a 6.5/3/1 3way up front and a coaxial in the rear, why not just throw a larger midbass in the back
in theory that would work but it doesnt actually work IN-CAR. the best ways to achieve nice frequency response is with more on axis aiming.

take a 6.5inch mid but it in a sealed door and band-pass it 75-500

then take a 4inch midrange and bandpass it for 500-3200

and let your tweeter go from 3200

putting a big midbass driver in the rear is only going to pull you substage further towards the back of the car.

if your speakers where distorting you may of needed more deadener, more power, steeper crossover slopes.

im guessing you had to highpass the mids at 250 which leads me to believe your doors arent sealed very well or the crossover slope wasnt steep enough

the actual equipment will make some difference but install is everything.

old sq competitor saying "keep it stupid simple"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.