Coolest sounding tunes, songs, artist for listening on a high end system? Advice?

Just crank up teh WOW setting.

hfwoW.png

I normally dip into goa-trance when I want to utilize every driver in my HT set up.

goa-trance? I'll have to look for that...Thanks

SRS-Wow, cool... I need one of those attached to my wife... I need more Wow in my life...

Music tastes... It runs the gambit... depends on my mood... "Picky Gemini Fkr..."

I pretty much like the most popular stuff in most arena's, but Pandora has introduced me to me weirder self...

Norah Jones, Pink Martini, DJ Yoda, Lilly Allen, Gorillaz, Frontier Psychiatrist, Gregorian-dance, some accapella stuff, Jack Johnson, Some rap stuff...

It seems that in every field of music, some of the artists (or perhaps their producers or sound engineers) have a knack for putting together some really cool sounds.

Dance hall raggae sounds excellent on a good system! I don't like raggae all that much but the dancehall is good stuff. My daughters introduced me to Skrilla when they rode with me the other day. Wow! And of course dubstep.... Kangaroux does his own mixes I think, either that or he posts up things he finds all the time.

Urban Dictionary: skrilla

So far it seems people are suggesting songs with massive low end bass, which is cool but it gets exhausting.

There's a lot of excellent sounding music on reference discs, such as the Focal/JM Labs 6 disc set that can be downloaded as ISO files. I have access to a couple of old Alpine reference discs that have some fun tracks. "The Speed of Sound" is one of them. As for music I bought that happens to also sound amazing on a good system:

Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming

Tool - Aenima, Lateralus

A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms, The Thirteenth Step

Favorite SQ listening tracks. - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

There are few new albums that are worth using for reference material - a general lack of dynamics has plagued the recording industry for a few decades now. equal-loudness mixes are more common.

Tool, for example: Opiate has good dynamics, the later albums are not as good (though I love the music).

Just about anything in the 80's was during the height of analog recording and all have great dynamics. Sadly, a down-side to analog is lower signal-to-noise ratios and lower dynamic range overall. modern recording techniques allow for much greater dynamic range - but so few artists actually take advantage. Early 90's also offered some good recordings.

i look at songs in Goldwave before I put them on a reference CD. I scan for clipping and evaluate how the recording engineer used the available dynamic range.

I just checked Alice in Chains - Facelift and Man in the Box was a clean recording. The MTV Unplugged album has clipping like crazy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

MediumTech

10+ year member
MediumTech
Southern Indiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from