Bass Sounds Like It Is Coming From The Back

Participant count
  • Participant list
Heil everybody,

In just about all cars the subwoofer is placed in the trunk, way behind you. So at first I thought that naturally therefore the bass should sound like it's coming from the back, that's where the sub is placed after all.

But I just don't like it. I need that 12" sub bass, because the front speakers and 6X9's don't hit hard enough, yet it just sounds like the interior speakers are playing one bassless track while the subwoofer is some Mob informant I've locked in the trunk banging on the lid to turn the music down until I get some SQ.

I figure this may be a common problem, and was wondering if anyone worked out a solution I could use? From previous discussions, I'm aware I need to get deadeners and seals for the front doors, but I still need to bring the sub bass up front right?

I'm confused as to whether I should turn the sub's LPF higher to try and take over some mid-bass, or in fact lower, to create more separation from the interior speakers, though I'm not sure how the latter would help. My understanding of how a bass signal gets produced is obviously not that well informed, is there an informant who can help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Few Questions:

What are your HPF and LPF frequencies?

Do u have any form of Time alignment on your HU?

Is your trunk deadened?

Are your doors properly sealed and deadened

What speakers, sub and vehicle?

In regard to HPF and LPF, I have tried different adjustments, and at the moment I have simply set them both to midpoints until someone offers helpful insight.

I don't believe there is any 'Time alignment' on the HU, it's a Kenwood KDC-MP239.

I haven't had any aftermarket deadening or sealing done. I'm not sure how I could even get some Dynamat behind the speaker baffles on the front doors, it was a miracle that I could get new speakers to fit, just.

The speakers are Pioneer, and the sub is Alpine Type-R.

About the car, it is a 89 Prelude (Acura). Europeans might classify it a sports car, but the Japanese marketed it as a GT. Therefore the luggage space in the trunk is cavernous with the massive fuel tank located mid-chassis. There is no partition between the cabin and trunk except for the backseat itself. This makes cabling, amplifier bay placement and rear deck speaker access quite a joy, but I've wondered if it affects SQ somewhat.

Good thing you reminded me about the car's design features, they may well be playing a role, but man I've really wanted it for a project so I'd like to keep it.

Also, even though I've duplicated this thread in the Subwoofer forum, it's okay to just reply here, thanks.

Getting your bass to become part of the sound stage takes time and effort.

Here are a few key steps.

1. The front door woofers need to be able to produce down to 60Hz or so. This usually requires fully sealed doors and deadening helps.

2. Time alignment isn't required but helps develop a soundstage in the first place. get the front speakers only producing a good sound stage.

3. Subwoofer level needs to closer match the door woofer output. This means the subs are quieter that most use them, but the system is more musical. Better midbass drives up front allow for more sub level.

4. Any rear speakers will eliminate the ability to achieve up-front-bass unless they are specifically filtered, tuned, and time aligned.

I have a pair of subs in the rear but my bass sounds like its above my dash, past my windshield. It is placed in the soundstage when the level is matched well. I can increase sub level and lose that effect. My build log link is in my sig.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.