is there a sql sub out there better than the TC LMS4000?

The AE AV12 I'm using now is by far the cleanest sub I have heard. I loved my Mag V4, but the AV12 absolutely destroys it in terms of SQ, much cleaner and more defined low end and blends better up top, which I honestly didn't think was possible until I heard the AV12 compared to the Mag. Like I said, the Mag was an amazing sub but the AV is just that much better IMO.
normally when i hear someone say cleaner... blends in better with my front stage... i think of all sq, zero out-put. will your sub crank? does it have the balls to sound clean and put out good spl?

?

normally when i hear someone say cleaner... blends in better with my front stage... i think of all sq, zero out-put. will your sub crank? does it have the balls to sound clean and put out good spl??
IMO it does, it can get quite loud in the sealed box it's in, just as loud as the Mag and that topped out in the mid 130s.

IMO it does, it can get quite loud in the sealed box it's in, just as loud as the Mag and that topped out in the mid 130s.

just one AV12? what size box? i'm strongly considering sealed with passive radiators at 3.5 cubic ft.

The AV series subs have superior sound quality and will hit hard. However these subs demand respect. You dont give a Shelby gt500 to an 18 year old. They were not designed for car audio users, AKA not dumb proof. I am not saying they easily can be broken but some users of this forum thought it was a good idea to feed them double the rms rating and expect them to work just fine. So please if you do decide to purchase one of their awesome subs please remember to respect the RMS rating and use it in a properly setup system.

If you know what you are doing then you will enjoy an amazing sub.

The AV series subs have superior sound quality and will hit hard. However these subs demand respect. You dont give a Shelby gt500 to an 18 year old. They were not designed for car audio users, AKA not dumb proof. I am not saying they easily can be broken but some users of this forum thought it was a good idea to feed them double the rms rating and expect them to work just fine. So please if you do decide to purchase one of their awesome subs please remember to respect the RMS rating and use it in a properly setup system.
If you know what you are doing then you will enjoy an amazing sub.
their rated at 1000 rms correct?

normally when i hear someone say cleaner... blends in better with my front stage... i think of all sq, zero out-put. will your sub crank? does it have the balls to sound clean and put out good spl??
When they did the great 15 challenge it was held by a guy in wisconsin. Since john was semi local he came down and helped test an av15h. They burped a 146.1 with a single 15 using the same box the other 15's were. The only sub putting up bigger numbers were the tsns and that was off ALOT more power and it was a 147.xx IIRC. It basically beat all the daily beater subs that AREN'T designed for SQ lol...

The only issue you may have with the subs is they aren't idiot proof. They don't have super stiff spiders that will be holding the sub together if you try to play it 20hz below tuning balls to the wall like a DD sub or an AQ. If you want to tune to the mid 30's low fourties you WILL need a SSF to protect it from bottoming. It's got 22mm of xmax and can handle more power than probably any other 2.5" coil sub on the market. It can get loud lol.

Are you in a trunk car? Hearing port noise in a trunk car is very hard unless your port is just stupidly tiny. Honestly you just need to make bigger flared ports and it won't be an issue lol.

personally it's not sensative enough for my taste. Low end sensativity is very good I'm sure, but low bass is so easy to get in car that I'd rather get some easier free output up top at 80 than more gain at 20. SPL in a sealed enclosure is all about effeciency up top and xmax and you ability to use it wthin a given box constraint down low. You need xmax to get loud sealed, but if you need to too big a box to get the thing to move then it's worthless.
I stopped reading the thread at this point. Your comments seem to disregard Hoffman's Iron Law, which states => efficiency, small enclosure, low frequency extension... pick two. So if you like an efficient sub that requires a small box, LFE is going to suffer.

I stopped reading the thread at this point. Your comments seem to disregard Hoffman's Iron Law, which states => efficiency, small enclosure, low frequency extension... pick two. So if you like an efficient sub that requires a small box, LFE is going to suffer.
Yes and no, in a car you get so much boost from the transfer function that it is not nearly as iron a law.

Yes and no, in a car you get so much boost from the transfer function that it is not nearly as iron a law.
I honestly can't stand the kind of response curve I get with a sealed box in my 4-door truck. Even with a low tuned ported box I'm 6db down at 35hz compared to 55hz, which is where my truck peaks. Keep in mind the box was designed to be +-1db from 30-80hz. I'd hate to see how far down I was with my sealed box.

I honestly can't stand the kind of response curve I get with a sealed box in my 4-door truck. Even with a low tuned ported box I'm 6db down at 35hz compared to 55hz, which is where my truck peaks. Keep in mind the box was designed to be +-1db from 30-80hz. I'd hate to see how far down I was with my sealed box.
You have to tame the curve, when your car gives you 20-30 dB of cabin gain in the region from 20hz to ~70Hz you can somewhat overcome problems. For me what I have to do to get a smooth response is basically put an EQ curve on the sub that is inverse to the transfer function therefore leveling out the subwoofer's response.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.