Is there a spec, or rating that indicates how efficient an amp is.

Participant count
  • Participants list
How do you know how efficient an amp is without knowing the product specifically? I'm looking for an amp in the 2-3k range, but I want something that's extremely efficient. Also, what are some amp brands that are known for being highly efficient? Right now I have my eye on a T.S. 3.5, or 2.8, how do those amps do in that category?

How do you know how efficient an amp is without knowing the product specifically?
You have to know the product specifically, plenty of clamp videos that show power draw in corespondence with wattage. You almost always get better effiency at a higher ohms but the trade-off is you won't get as much power
I'm looking for an amp in the 2-3k range, but I want something that's extremely efficient.
Why ? Your targeting a power range that's going to require aftermarket wires, aftermarket alternator, and aftermarket battery. Why of all things would you care about efficency ? (for example the difference between 180 amp draw and 195 amp draw is literally going to be insignificant). Efficency is more of a concern for someone that wants to do little to no electrical upgrades since they have very little OEM headroom

O
You have to know the product specifically, plenty of clamp videos that show power draw in corespondence with wattage. You almost always get better effiency at a higher ohms but the trade-off is you won't get as much power
Why ? Your targeting a power range that's going to require aftermarket wires, aftermarket alternator, and aftermarket battery. Why of all things would you care about efficency ? (for example the difference between 180 amp draw and 195 amp draw is literally going to be insignificant). Efficency is more of a concern for someone that wants to do little to no electrical upgrades since they have very little OEM headroom

That makes sense, thank you. Basically I'm trying to learn more about the subject, so there's times where I might not understand how a certain process works.

How do you know how efficient an amp is without knowing the product specifically?
You do not, and even if someone throws out a number, whatever number someone tells you to blow smoke up your arse is ONLY true at whatever impedance and percent of max output it was tested.
Stick to reputable brands who use more modern designs and avoid class A/B and you should be doing fine. The technology to really maximize efficiency will not come cheap so be prepared to pay if you want optimum efficiency above all else. On the bright side if you buy some of the most efficient amps you will be paying for build quality and R&D so you'll get a good product but you will be paying.

You do not, and even if someone throws out a number, whatever number someone tells you to blow smoke up your arse is ONLY true at whatever impedance and percent of max output it was tested.
Stick to reputable brands who use more modern designs and avoid class A/B and you should be doing fine. The technology to really maximize efficiency will not come cheap so be prepared to pay if you want optimum efficiency above all else. On the bright side if you buy some of the most efficient amps you will be paying for build quality and R&D so you'll get a good product but you will be paying.

Thanks man, I went ahead and bought an amp yesterday. I was looking at a few amps from taramps, and a Wolfram 3k, but I ended up getting a Twisted Sounds 3.5, which I am more than happy with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Gatorade

Gatorade
Lexington, KY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Gatorade