Is the Atomic APX 18" woofer good? Tell me everything about it!!!!

I was a dealer for te old Atomic when SJA owned it. JL went with some of it...I dont know much about the new Atomic. But it was one of the best subs on the planet back then.

I have one...and it gets stupid loud. I can't feed it enough power haha. I went from finding subs to match the potential of my amps, to finding amps to match the potential of my sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Mine isn't even totally original, as it was reconed by something similar to an RE MT. And the box it is in is the minimal optimal, with no internal bracing and no extra baffling. The SQ aint the greatest, but it's what you would expect from a high-end SPL sub. Some notes sound surprisingly crisp, others (typically the 50hz+ notes) sound terrible. It's just a badass sub, you won't find any haters on this here forum. What is the deal you found on them?

And in case you are wondering...There aren't many subs by themselves that can top it. Off the top of my head...DD 99Z, Critical Mass UL-12 (although I doubt it can burp 20k), Atomic APXX (5000 watts-higher burping capability, worse sound quality). Maybe an Incriminator Audio Warden, I don't know too much about that sub though. And if I remember right...the APX is a near clone of the Shocker Sig, or something like that. The Sig is much rarer though.

And don't quote me, but I think it is louder than an FI BTL and DD 9500, but I would assume they would have better sound quality. Maybe my sub's sound quality isn't stellar because of the combo of the poor box and non-atomic recone (the atomic one is better).

And don't quote me, but I think it is louder than an FI BTL and DD 9500, but I would assume they would have better sound quality. Maybe my sub's sound quality isn't stellar because of the combo of the poor box and non-atomic recone (the atomic one is better).
Yeah, that's what I was a little worried about.

I know they will get loud, but I was not too sure on the sound quality.

I found the pair for 450 which isnt bad at all, but I'd rather the sound quality.

Thanks for the tip. It was a big help...

And in case you are wondering...There aren't many subs by themselves that can top it. Off the top of my head...DD 99Z, Critical Mass UL-12 (although I doubt it can burp 20k), Atomic APXX (5000 watts-higher burping capability, worse sound quality). Maybe an Incriminator Audio Warden, I don't know too much about that sub though. And if I remember right...the APX is a near clone of the Shocker Sig, or something like that. The Sig is much rarer though.
they are nothing alike man,

sig

downsized0528091747.jpg

0522091619.jpg

0521091844.jpg

0521091109.jpg

apx

extprodmainimage348.jpeg

AtomicApocalypseAPXX18_b2.jpg

The APX is one of the strongest ferrite motors I ever used, I imagine you could make it sound pretty good on music, in the right enclosure , and that would also depend on how and what it was built for Daily or SPL, if you are getting a good price on them you could have them reconed to respond better in a daily application by using different soft parts

And SJA still builds and owns Atomic last I checked.

I put 6-7K watts to my APX 10's for a burp. Depending on the suspension setup I choose they can handle a lot more. Not sure where power compression takes place, maybe around 5K per motor. The 18 can sound excellent if it is built right. Got a small enclosure or 4th order bandpass, use softer suspension. Using a ported or 6th order bandpass use tighter suspension. I can build this sub so it will only move 1" under 10K watts. Either way A solid performer and hard to be by any standards.

Team Neo - Eric

Yeah, that's what I was a little worried about.I know they will get loud, but I was not too sure on the sound quality.

I found the pair for 450 which isnt bad at all, but I'd rather the sound quality.

Thanks for the tip. It was a big help...
That's all?!? With a box too? Pick that **** up! Don't let my experience with their sound quality worry you, mine isn't in very good condition. And it sounds better now that I got it a solidly built box. I think it does a fine job on music now.

That's all?!? With a box too? Pick that **** up! Don't let my experience with their sound quality worry you, mine isn't in very good condition. And it sounds better now that I got it a solidly built box. I think it does a fine job on music now.
Hehe. 450 for the pair. Box not included. I build boxes so I'm not really worried.

I just think they will lack sq plus they are 18's too so that' worse.

I still love the lows though but I want both. My boxes are normally tuned to 38 hZ

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.