Is sub power handling overrated?

cone area is nice for hairtricks. i like getting big numbers with smaller setups. i did a 149.x with a single 12 before. couldnt do a hairtrick but could get loud. coming soon is a dual 10s 150+ setup for me
i do think its nice to b loud and move some air with smaller sub stages. for me i have 4 12s seeing 500 watts at one ohm and to b honest this sh it moves some air sealed and gets loud. i have another 800-1200 im gona throw at the subs. i think your ride comes in to play allso. i know when i had my 92 jeep sport it would flex off of one 12 inch L7 tune crazy low . that sh it was seeing 350 rms at 2 ohms

here is one what about doing a few subs sealed over one sub ported? i know its a easy question but how about my case 4 12s sealed with there rated rms over one 15 ported with its rated power that is = to the 4 12s rated power?

In the right box and right setup (vehicle mounting location) you can make a 200W sub sound just as good as a 1000w Sub.. just something to think about..

You really want not a sales man, but a Tech at a respectable shop (One that has won trophies is better, at least you have a little more confidence in them) look at your ride and figure out what is best if your not sure.

In your case, I'm not sure how much a difference you see. There are a ton of factors though. And many 1000w rms subs will take more than 1000w rms //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

in real world you want a sub that is super eff yet handles a good amount of power.

its not like the same company rates all the subwoofers out there. so many good brands of subs very much underate them because power is cheap and sooo many inexperienced people out there that love bb or a huge box.

Question is to general... It all depends on what subs your comparing some are ****** and rate power high but still aren't using all of it. Others might be rated low and use all of it an sound better. Same size and all which makes comparing reg cone area vs watts useless unless brands are given because it's to general. One really great pair of twelves with low watt rms could be better than 1 18 with a high wattage rms. True is other way around, bumping it down to a 15. A 15 doing low watts could be better than 2 12s with high watts.

i guess to answer your question, in a way yes it is. cone area is important, power handling is important, enclosure is important...
I get how cone area and enclosure are important but how is power handling important. Those things aside, I thought it had mostly to do with xmax, efficiency and motor force. I understood power handling is mostly for thermal limitations and mechanical limit is more dependent upon enclosure volume.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.