Is my headunit toast?

Participant count
  • Participant list

00Chevyscott
10+ year member

Its a Pioneer DEH7900 from about 2005 and has worked great up untill a week or so.

Heres the problem I'm having with it now, whenever I start driving, either one of the front channels will cut out, and then shortly after that the other side will cut out also. I'm running 2 amps (1 for door speakers, and the other for the subs) and all connections are fine, and sometimes when I turn off the HU, and turn it back on after about 10-15 seconds the front channels will come back on. Are the preouts on it just worn out? Or could it be my door speakers amp?

Check the voltage on the RCA out puts for the head unit. (While the front speakers aren't working) If there's not voltage, it could be the RCA ground? I recall these being messed up, but don't know what the faulty ground causes. If there's voltage the whole time, it's the amp or the speakers. Once the fronts stop working and there's still voltage to the RCAs, check the speaker terminals on the amp, see if there's any voltage. If there's not, check the power/ground and see if it's going into protect. If everything's fine with those, check the voice coil readings on the speakers if they read fine it could be your crossovers (if you have any), also check to see if you have a 12V signal coming from the remote line on the head unit.

typically the faulty ground just causes static/noise IIRC, never heard of it causing speakers to cut out
uh you couldnt be more wrong. a faulty ground will hinder speakers from playing. it does not just cause static.

uh you couldnt be more wrong. a faulty ground will hinder speakers from playing. it does not just cause static.
Pay attention, and don't just jump ahead. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

The ground I am talking about did mainly cause static. There was a bunch of griping done about newer Pioneer units at the time, and the 'fix' was to wrap the outer RCA shield with bare wire, and ground it to the deck, since Pioneer didn't manufacture it correctly.

pioneerfix.jpg

yea grounding the rca jacks helped me. sorry i thought you meant amp ground. my bad hehe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i have the same headunit. and in our case, since the rca's are on a harness, just get some remote wire, put it into each rca, connect them all. then grab some speaker wire, attach it to one of the bolts on the headunit chassis. then attach them all and put electrical tape, and you should be set.

my whine went away, it was horrible before i did the trick.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.