Is it safe to turn off the HPF on my component setup.

Participant count
  • Participant list

pope
10+ year member

on automobile standby
kmet
Just got my components installed and was doing a quick listen on the way to work. The HPF is currently on 80hz, I will be turning it down after work to the 60hz area because right now I do not have a sub. The amp gain is set low at the moment (maybe around 60-70wrms) but can send 150+wrms to each channel. So, my question is, will it be safe to let the components play the low frequencies (below the 60hz HPF), in other words turning the HPF off and having no filter. The components are the Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs.

I've read at least one review where I remember reading the guy said he had no fear playing at the 20hz level, but keep in mind I am new to this.

just make sure there not bottoming out
i'll be able to tell if they are right? (i'm new to this)

set it as high or low as you want
well im tryin to say to turn it off completely, because i've also read that components shouldn't be playing the sub-stage frequencies

speakers have 2 types of power handling, thermal and mechanical

thermal is always the same, whether a company gives you the correct rms rating, thats another thing...

mechanical is enclosure dependent

if you turn up your speaker/sub beyond the point of just getting louder (the sound quality changes) youve reached xmax

xmax = 1 way linear travel of the cone

xmech = 1 way total travel of the cone

keep pushing a speaker/sub beyond xmax and youll soon reach xmech, push it past xmech and youll rip apart the speaker/sub or ruin the voice coil

In reality, setting your x-over below 60hz with 6.5's will just muck up everything else. The speaker is still going to play below 60hz, it just attenuates it the lower the frequency gets. Otherwise if that tiny speaker is trying to reproduce low frequencies its going to distort, and obviously if you push it hard enough you can blow it.

i'll be able to tell if they are right? (i'm new to this)

well im trying to say to turn it off completely, because I've also read that components shouldn't be playing the sub-stage frequencies
you can turn it off, but your speaker will sound like crap at say volume 5 vs volume 25

as you play lower frequencies, the speaker needs to move a lot more air to reach the same volume, thats why people use subs, theyre bigger and can move more air hitting the same decibels with ease vs using a 6.5 mid

irrc, a speaker has to move twice as much to produce the next lower octave to keep the volume from dropping

my hpf is set to 125 but i also have a sub stage when the sub stage is out i turn mine to 80 and thats enough bass for me

i just went out and tried it right now at 45hz.... i will keep it here until I find ANY signs of bottoming out or distortion and just leave it around 60hz until I get a sub in. besides it should take a couple of days for the bass to break-in anyways right

BTW, it was originally at 80hz but since I listen to a lot of rap I had to turn it down a bit because I heard some bass (just below the 80hz mark) coming from the rear speakers and it was cut off by the HPF at the fronts.....

thanks for the advice people

id leave it set at 60hz. even with the bass level on the HU off, they bottom out very easily when the HPF is turned off. but, i also have a half assed component install. no deadening, the speaker enclosure has alot of air leaks, etc. so maybe itll be different for you.

just got back after a night of leaving at 45hz. right before i got in i put the HPF on 60hz. lets see how it is

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.