Is it a MUST to take off the crossver when running active?

djdownfawl
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NJ
I know there is no need of leaving the crossover when running active 2 way setup.

But my tweeters are connected to the FRONT 1/2 of the H701 and i left to connect the mids/speakers directly to the amp for them. It is now connected through the crossover it came with, but thats the only thing thats connected to it.

Do i HAVE TO take it out and connect the speakers DIRECTLY to the AMPLIFIER?

Please let me know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Thank you

I know there is no need of leaving the crossover when running active 2 way setup.But my tweeters are connected to the FRONT 1/2 of the H701 and i left to connect the mids/speakers directly to the amp for them. It is now connected through the crossover it came with, but thats the only thing thats connected to it.

Do i HAVE TO take it out and connect the speakers DIRECTLY to the AMPLIFIER?

Please let me know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Thank you
Yes, otherwise the point of running active is lost.

Your crossover will still get hot and soak up some of the power.

Your crossover will still impose it's crossover points on the signal anyways and it'll be as if nothing changed.

Just remove the crossover and connect the speakers directly to the amplifier, honestly I'm not even really sure what the rest of your post is asking...

Same logic different scenario:
"If I am going to have protected sex, do I have to wear a condom?"
body-condom.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Yes, however you can put an passive xover if you are trying to just protect the equipment.

Ex. Say you cross your tweeters at 3.5khz using an active crossover, your signal is now crossed over before the amp, now when you hook you tweeters to the amp you can place an inline cap, rated for lets say 1khz. No matter what happens, amp pops, radio pops, or active xover fails you tweeters wont blow because you have that cap inline(passive xover).

Any other situation you will have an xover gap, and now you have a "hole" in your spectrum.

What do you mean?
ex. Your passive xover is set to 4khz for the tweeters. But you set you active xover to 2khz for the tweeters and 2khz for the mids(mids are wired to a separate channels obviously, since you cant be active unless each speaker is wired to their own channel) you now have a gap in your spectrum between 2khz-4khz.

Your tweeters are only playing down to 4khz since the passive is there and your mids are playing up to 2khz since that's what you set your active xover to.

short story: the passive xover has crippled/limited you at the fixed xover point and has left a gap between the mid and tweets

Ok.

My tweeters are set at 100hz -6db octave slope

and my front mids are at 100hz on the amp

and my rears are 100hz -12db octave slope.

What do you think about that?

I dont know what i am doing so.. correct me where i need to be corrected.

That is way too low for your tweeters! You will blow them in no time plus I bet its not sounding very good at all right now. A good rule of thumb on most tweeters is keep them above 2000hz. Try around 3.6khz for your HPF and the 3.6khz for your LPF for your mids. If you are able to pick slopes, try a 12db slope.

these are just rough suggestions, I have no idea what your setup consists of.

w505 + h701 + TRUssld6i + ARC 300.4 AMP + CDT components.
I am not really sure why you have the Tru line driver when you have the h701, that pumps enough preamp voltage out. You should sell it along with the cdt, and get some better speakers that dont have such shitty tonality //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I am not really sure why you have the Tru line driver when you have the h701, that pumps enough preamp voltage out. You should sell it along with the cdt, and get some better speakers that dont have such shitty tonality //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
TREMENDOUS difference between the Alpine and the TRU. In both overall performance and voltage/low impedance. I would guess you are assuming here, so we can let it slide ..

I'll agree with the speakers, but I have never been a fan. However it is purely subjective.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.