is cone area really king????

They are not all that bad to be honest. I think you would be surprised by their output yet at the same time disappointed. They do great things, but they are limited do to their size. They can play low and loud though..just not as loud as other subs can.
My town is full of car audio noobs, those 6.5s would probably shit on 50% of the systems here.

For sure, so it would probably take a lot of them to accomplish bass bliss? Lol. What would you say about 4 of them vs 1 10?
I would say go for it. I am a fan of smaller subs to an extent do to the "wow" factor they generate. I did 2 of those subs in a t line a while back and they were amazing and got plenty loud. Was very similar in output to a 12" dcon in one of my enclosures.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

My town is full of car audio noobs, those 6.5s would probably shit on 50% of the systems here.
You think your town is bad...try living just down the road from Kicker. haha

I would say go for it. I am a fan of smaller subs to an extent do to the "wow" factor they generate. I did 2 of those subs in a t line a while back and they were amazing and got plenty loud. Was very similar in output to a 12" dcon in one of my enclosures. 

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

Hmmmm. I may just do that. If the guy still has them, I can get them for $230 for all 4. Or I was gonna get a 3HP Lightning Audio X1 10.

There was an ad on CL for a sony xplod amp, and the guy said it pushes two 12s pretty good. I asked him if it would push two 10s good or would it blow them.

His response

"Depending what kind of subs..id start with the gain on amp in middle then go frm there about raisn the gain on amp"

Gotta be the worst advice ever. Start with the gain in the middle???

Just because it's possible to get a few 8s to run the 49.9 class doesn't mean you're going to be able to. Have you ever heard a car that can play music at 153db?

Bass is about nothing more than displacing air. In general, the more subwoofers you have (with all things equal), the more air you will displace, and the louder you will be.
Obviously 12 12s in an absolutely terrible box on 6,000w wouldnt be as loud as 2 18s on 6,000w in the right box, but for an everyday setup that plays a range of music, I prefer to run a bunch of speakers.

I tried a setup with 4 BTL 18s on like 17,000 watts. Was ok, but it stresses the subs to run that much power. Then I went for a setup with 24 15s on 20,000w and was much happier with the results for a daily driver. It played a wider range of music, was more efficient, was louder, and since the subs barely had any power to them, it would play all day with no equipment stress or failure.
Your video with the BTLS on 17k playing the song In The Hood was one of my favorite car audio videos back in my nooby days haha

Just because it's possible to get a few 8s to run the 49.9 class doesn't mean you're going to be able to. Have you ever heard a car that can play music at 153db?
he's going to want at least a 2-3dB cushion to make up for a late/slow start. Also if he has a tie or two I really don't see the subs holding up.

---------- Post added at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

Your video with the BTLS on 17k playing the song In The Hood was one of my favorite car audio videos back in my nooby days haha
link to vid??? one of my fav demo songs, 45-48Hz, moves a lot of air and hurts in the right set up...

to original question..... i think the 5 8's and 3 12's would be pretty even, there also is a factor of power, good rule (or use to be) to gain 3 db you had to double power or double cone area.

Box design is very important also, you can build gain into a box, you heard of burp or fart box this is a box that plays a short range of FQ louder than the rest, great for comp, bad for SQ, so most peoples systems are there daily driver and compete second, so i dont suggest build more than a 3 db gain in your box,

I switched up my set up because of my trunk size. I have 1 DD 9918 and I was going to put that on around 5-6k watts but I needed a big box so I went with 8 E8 v.2s and I'm going 2 do around 3k watts.. Hopefully it get's loud.

So true. Burping is so much different than playing music, let alone bass race.

With 5 8s, or 3 12s, expect to be bass racing the 139.9, even the 129.9 if you car is bad on the mic.

So true. Burping is so much different than playing music, let alone bass race.With 5 8s, or 3 12s, expect to be bass racing the 139.9, even the 129.9 if you car is bad on the mic.
I don't know. I have to be honest here, I think building for numbers is fairly easy. The hard part is building a demo vehicle to beat on at a show for 2 days in a row at full tilt with no issues. Worlds apart there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.