Ipod sound quality...

Chad T
10+ year member

Indiana
I'm kinda getting the bug to get an Ipod. I've been avoiding them for a long time, but the idea of putting a huge number of my CDs into one little unit is very tempting....but I'm concerned about sound quality.

Is it possible for an Ipod to sound as good as a CD? I've heard there is lossless encoding available, but does it really sound the same? What bitrate are the songs in your Ipod? What software do you use?

Back in the day, I used to download the occasional song off of Napster and Kazaa, but I stopped when all of the legal stuff ensued. I pretty much still just buy CDs. Can you download songs at high bitrates at the pay sites? Other comments? Thanks!

allofmp3? No, it is not too good to be true. I've gotten tons of CDs off of there, and it's really worth a dollar or 2 an album too.

If the ipod is hardwired, aux in I do find there is a slight loss of the quality but that is most likely because I am playing songs downloaded (crappy recordings ect.) instead of a cd...When I use the tape deck well then obviously its alot worse. If your playing songs of a cd on the ipod I dought ull notice a big diffrence.

you can defantly tell the difference between an encoded song and an unencoded song. If you cannot then your system is not very "accurate" or you have possiubly damaged hearing.

I agree with others, ipod is better then radio but not as good as CD.

that website looks awesome, have to look into it

sidenote

when you use itunes, not adjusting anything, isnt it set to 192kbps?????

I'm told you would want a 1st or 2nd gen. Ipod as their output levels are higher and cleaner...... that's the word on the "audiophile" street //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

allofmp3.com
I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between an MP3 and looseless.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I sure can. And anybody with a properly tuned stereo (or good pair of headphones) should be able to as well.

I used to load up .flac (free lossless audio codec) files onto my MP3 player (iAudio X5L) and run the lineout (something the iPod doesn't have) output into the auxiliary input on my headunit...

That's the best portable >> car audio method I can think of without doing anything ridiculous.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.