Intermittent speaker failure / sub continues to work when speakers do not PLEASE HELP

Participant count
  • Participant list

mayhem17

va
I have an 06 toyota tacoma, previously owner had/did installed system. I do not know much. I have some paperwork he gave me on the stuff though. First I will list what I know, then tell you symptoms.

Toyota double din radio ( I am assuming it was from the factory, on start up t has toyota logo, cant find any markings or brand names in settings)

sound ordinance sub b-8p/b-8ptd

kenwood KAC-8406 900W MAXPWR 4/3/2 channel power amp

kicker Coax speakers

By the looks of what he gave me (several diagrams for wiring) he installed it himself. However this system worked perfectly fine for 9+ months ive had it.

SYMPTOMS>

This problem started occurring about a month ago intermittently, and now the speakers work 10% of the time, for a few minutes max. I hear a pop when I turn on/off truck, no matter if the speakers are working or not. When the speakers are working they will work for a few minutes max, then pop, then speakers are off and sub stays on but not loud thumps. The speakers randomly work. Rarely I can turn on/off head unit like 6 times and get them to work for maybe a minute. When the speakers are not working, head unit operates fine and I can hear sub thumping when I crank volume up high, but they seem low.

The speakers/amp always made the thump/pop sound when head unit turns on /off.

Really the only new symptom is the speakers not working, and it has gotten so bad they basically never work now. It seems to have progressed so I dont think this is a solid fault cause like a fuse blown or something of that nature. Especially because like yesterday they worked fine/crystal clear for 2 mins when I was driving.

PLEASE HELP!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.