Amp clipping? please help me lol

hey guys, new to the forum. looking for some assistance in figuring out this noise ive got. Im running 2 power acoustik MOFO's in a 1ohm loop powered by an arc audio XDi 1000.1 in a 3.7cuft box. so far ive swapped boxes, and both speakers out, so im pretty much down to the amp. what im hearing is i believe amp clipping. sounds great until i turn the volume up higher, when it hits pretty hard it sounds like subwoofer slap, but like i said, ive swapped both speakers and the box, and i seem to get it no matter what. im pretty sure i can easily max this amp out with these subwoofers. it wont make the noise unless the particular song has beats that hit harder even at lower volumes, or unless listening to it louder (2/3 the way up). im trying to be as detailed as possible, so let me know if i can add any details to help. i know noises are hard to diagnose over a forum, but some of you may know better than i.

That amp could fry those subs if you're clipping hard.

I think you're expecting too much out of those subs.

That rms rating would be more in the 800-1000 range.

What about the gain on the HU?

Do you know where your HU distorts?

What is your HPF/LFP set at?

That amp could fry those subs if you're clipping hard. I think you're expecting too much out of those subs.

That rms rating would be more in the 800-1000 range.

What about the gain on the HU?

Do you know where your HU distorts?

What is your HPF/LFP set at?

bass level on the radio is right in the middle, no more no less. 2011 ford fusion stock radio, they dont really distort (im a ford technician), not like a cheap/mid grade head unit does.

subsonic - 20hz ish

bass boost - 0

boost freq - 100

low - about 100hz ish

phase - 0

bass level on the radio is right in the middle, no more no less. 2011 ford fusion stock radio, they dont really distort (im a ford technician), not like a cheap/mid grade head unit does. subsonic - 20hz ish

bass boost - 0

boost freq - 100

low - about 100hz ish

phase - 0
ooo i see a problem..

That bandwidth is way too large.

Do you know what your box is tuned at?

You'll want to set your LFP/HPF according to your box tune.

The LPF could be fine depending on what your box is tuned at, but that HPF should come down to at least 60hz IMO.

Didn't know that about ford radios, thats actually good to know.

You'll want to set your LFP/HPF ooo i see a problem..

That bandwidth is way too large.

Do you know what your box is tuned at? according to your box tune.

The LPF could be fine depending on what your box is tuned at, but that HPF should come down to at least 60hz IMO.

Didn't know that about ford radios, thats actually good to know.
i will give that a shot, ill find out what the box is tuned for a tighten those settings up a little.

newer ford radio's, once you hit about 85% volume, instead of distortion they actually start to turn the bass down and treble up the louder you go passed that, to what i would presume to cancel out distortion.

thanks a million for your input, once i do that and im able to test it out ill come back and let you know the result

hey guys, new to the forum. looking for some assistance in figuring out this noise ive got. Im running 2 power acoustik MOFO's in a 1ohm loop powered by an arc audio XDi 1000.1 in a 3.7cuft box. so far ive swapped boxes, and both speakers out, so im pretty much down to the amp. what im hearing is i believe amp clipping. sounds great until i turn the volume up higher, when it hits pretty hard it sounds like subwoofer slap, but like i said, ive swapped both speakers and the box, and i seem to get it no matter what. im pretty sure i can easily max this amp out with these subwoofers. it wont make the noise unless the particular song has beats that hit harder even at lower volumes, or unless listening to it louder (2/3 the way up). im trying to be as detailed as possible, so let me know if i can add any details to help. i know noises are hard to diagnose over a forum, but some of you may know better than i.
u say gain not all the way up.. try 1/2 way and turn bass on hu down.. if u have prefab ported box it's probably tuned at 40-55hz.. so 1st set ss filter at 40 hz and lp at 85hz and see if it works but still turn the other stuff down...

u say gain not all the way up.. try 1/2 way and turn bass on hu down.. if u have prefab ported box it's probably tuned at 40-55hz.. so 1st set ss filter at 40 hz and lp at 85hz and see if it works but still turn the other stuff down...
Please stop. You have no idea what his input voltage is

i turned down the gain to about half way and lowered the lp down to about 60ish, still seems to do it though. are these subwoofers really that crappy that my little arc audio amp is over powering them? im going to give my ground and power connections a cleaning and just triple check them for proper connection. im no audio pro by any means, one of those "know enough to get myself in trouble" with car audio kind of people.

Input voltage as in RCA voltage. Not the car
if it will help, ill measure that in a bit. however tho, i am tied into a speaker wire for rca output, so im sure that voltage would change with the loudness of the radio, so ill measure it where i would typically be having the issue with it

That amp could fry those subs if you're clipping hard.
You'd be really hard pressed to try to burn up 3" coils with 500W, even whatever wimpy Chinese one they put in those Power Acoustic subs.

i turned down the gain to about half way and lowered the lp down to about 60ish, still seems to do it though. are these subwoofers really that crappy that my little arc audio amp is over powering them? im going to give my ground and power connections a cleaning and just triple check them for proper connection. im no audio pro by any means, one of those "know enough to get myself in trouble" with car audio kind of people.
It sounds to me like the issue is not the low pass but the high pass. You're probably playing some 20hz note in a box tuned mid 40hz and bottoming them out. You can definitely break the subs mechanically off of 500W if your box is a problem or you're playing below port tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.