Intermittent sound from 3 out of 4 speakers

Headache

I have a 2004 Subaru Legacy wagon with a pioneer head unit that is 4.5 years old with factory speakers. I have made no changes to the system or setup, but earlier this week only my front left speaker was working. I parked my car and when I started it later, all speakers were working again. A couple days later, I started the car and only the front left speaker worked. It seems like they are either working or not, no cutting in and out, no distortion.

I checked the head unit connection and everything seems to be fine. I removed the passenger door panel and the wiring to the speaker looks fine. No frayed wires or bad connections.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem on my 2005 Subaru Baja. Dealers want to charge too much about something they know nothing about. Trying to tell me it's the speakers. Speakers aren't intermittent. My problem is any speaker or none can come on or off. It has to be oxidation on the connector from the radio to the speakers. If I can find the connector, I think re-seating it will help. It might also be a sender (relay).

I think oxidation would be a great explanation. I drive a 20+ year old car which sat for a while and the head unit had a similar issue. I mean, I suppose it could be a short as well, but I wouldn't even be surprised if your head unit is going bad. Although, since a fellow subi owner is experiencing similar issues, it might be a subaru specific problem. I know I kind of stated the obvious/already said here. But hopefully I helped a little.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.