Intermittent Car Stereo (Sometimes Works) - Need Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

kecs

Hi, I just bought my first car (1991 Lexus ES250) and the stereo/radio (stock radio + speakers) works maybe 10% of the time. I start the car and the head unit has power; and I discovered today that if you listen very closely in a quiet setting you can actually hear the radio (quieter than a whispering mouse). And 10% of the time, I'll start the car and the radio will turn on, speakers working perfectly.

Although the head unit has power when the radio isn't working, when I click to change stations, the digital display does not change, however when listening to the whispering mouse of sound, you can hear the stations change. When the radio DOES work that 10% of the time, the display changes when I change stations. I fooled around with wires as much as a newbie can, but I need some expert advice from you guys on what the problem may be and how to fix it myself. Ask whatever more info you may need. Thanks in advance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you want to keep it,..Id take it out and have it bench tested at an Audio Shop..other than that..Id replace it with a 100% functional unit

So my description of the problems tells you that just the head unit is messed up? Like no shorts in the speaker connections or something, just the head unit? Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So my description of the problems tells you that just the head unit is messed up? Like no shorts in the speaker connections or something, just the head unit? Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You wont know till you remove the HU from the dash and test it out to rule that out first/THE MAIN SOURCE/SUPPLY..Especially being 1991 version..Electronics dont last forever..That would be my first test/to do..Check wiring connections ect..That car may have an external amplifier under the dash or built in to he HU that could be the culprit as well..So thats why I say TEST THE HU FIRST..If you want to keep it..other than that..Id go with a new 100% functional unit

You state your functions arent even operating properly??While trying to change stations? Doesnt seem to be functioning as i should and creating issues at that point...I myself would pull it out..open up the lid on my trash can and dispose of it properly and get a cheap hu or whatever Id like to replace it with the functions I needed, ect for some tunes..Thats me though.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

Ya that's what I'd like to do, replace it. I'm just worried maybe the problem won't get fixed after spending $$ on a new head unit. :/
I had a chitty work car, and didnt want to spend any money on it(Beater really) I just used an Ipod and some external speakers I had..Worked just fine for me..But your HU deff doesnt seem to be working properly with normal functioning procedures.Can find a nicely used unit that may work for you or BNEW from Sonic Electronix.com or even in the clearing section there that come with a dash kit ,a wiring harness, and antenna adapter if need be for free and a warranty..May find one under 100$ bucks , and a Labor Day sale find with free shipping

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.