Intermittent alternator whine. Help please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

onthebrink

Tx
I have a factory chevy radio with Bose. Recently I've started having intermittent alternator whine. It will whine for several days and then stop for a couple of days.

Today the noise was gone but when I killed my truck and re cranked it the radio volume wouldn't work at all. The radio was on but I couldn't get sound out on am, fm or XM.

I turned the radio off and back on and the sound came back.

I'm in the middle of picking out a new radio to go in it. I probably should speed that process up. Thing is I have a small second radio in my second row seats. That won't work unless I put a factory radio back in.

I'm considering a new after market radio with Bluetooth but to do that I will have to have extra adapters for my steering wheel controls and ON Star.

Is this whine just a problem with the radio or something else?

Will a new radio fix the issue?

Which radio would you choose and why?

It could be a problem with the radio, could be a loose ground wire. If you go with a new radio, be sure to mount that to a solid part of the chassis and not use the stock ground on the wiring harness.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.