installing my headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

ructwenty2
10+ year member

i'm installing my new cd player in my 97 gmc yukon. i'm soldering the wires from the back of the cd player to the wiring harness i bought. ive finished soldering all the speaker wires but now i have three wires left on my cd player and 4 wires left on my wiring harness. i'm not sure which wires to solder to which and what to do with the wire on the harness thats doesnt get used. the wires on the cd player say:

1)Auto Antenna B(+)

2)Memory Backup

3)Power Supply

the wires on the wiring harnes say:

1)12 volt battery/constant

2)12 volt ignition/switched

3)Power Antenna

4)Illumination/Dash Light

If anyone can help me figure out what to do with the remaining wires please help. thanks

The "Memory Backup" on the CD Player should go to the "12 volt battery/constant" on the harness and the "Power Supply" on the CD Player should go to the "12 volt ignition/switched" on the harness. The other wires do not need to be connected, unless you have a power antenna then that should be self-explanitory which one it goes to. If you have any amps, which I garner you don't, you could use the power antenna wire from the CD Player as a remote wire in the future. The "Illumination/Dash Light " is most likely useless now, unless your HU supports it, which it apparently doesn't because you didn't have the extra wire available. This wire is for when you dim the lights on the dash it dims them on the factory HU. Not possible with your new HU.

Does this answer your questions?

ok, so the auto antenna wire on the head unit doesnt need to be connected to anything?i guess the auto antenna and power antenna arent related. and those other wires that dont need to be connected-can i just leave them the way they are when i install the h/u

I would tape off the Illumination/Dash Light wire and shove it out of the way. The power antenna and auto antenna wire are the same thing. Does you car have a power antenna on it? If it does connect those two wires together, if it does not tape off the ends so they don't touch anything and don't connect either one to anything. You definitely don't want to leave loose wires hanging around, so tape off the ends like I said and tie them up out of the way, or basically just make sure they don't touch anything. Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.