Installing 6.5 front speakers... 02 nissan SER ***pictures***

LimPerT
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Today i recieved my 6.5s in the mail and wanted to install them but ran into a problem. These are the speakers i got http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5788983839&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 to replace my stock speakers.

I've installed subs and head units in the past all on my own but this is the first time i have installed front speakers. My question is what do i need to do to make these speakers fit to my door? I have pictures of my situation right here.

9hjrd4.jpg

9hjrkk.jpg

9hjrsx.jpg

9hjs0j.jpg

9hjtc6.jpg

9hjtee.jpg

9hjtjq.jpg

Do i need to cut the stock speaker from this plastic piece it is connected to and screw my new speaker to it and then put that in? or do i need to buy a piece that will fit these speakers like a baffle or something?

pretty much... what do i need to do to make it work?

thanks - David

id suggest getting some 1\2" MDF (like a 2' x 4' sheet is like $7) and cutting two rings, inner 'mounting diamater' and overall outer diamater + whatever extra to screw into the metal of the door.. screwing these to the metal of the door, then mount your speakers to them. might wanna buy a few square feet of sound deadening though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you can do it like this - it would be perfect;

dsc03232-med.jpg

little tip - you can make a template for the MDF by cutting a piece of cardboard and\or paper to the shape\size you need for the stock screwholes... and trace it onto your wood //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

remember to take lots of pictures

Good job,looks like baffles behind the mid,am I right?........also put some sounddeadening on the back of the baffle so water wont penetrate the MDF( unless the foam baffles cover the entire backside of the MDF baffle - u wont need to do this).

the best way to do it is to take a Manilla folder ad trace out the stock mount on it, cut it out, put it against the door and trace the available open area so you know exacttly how much opening you have. Next take the speaker you want to install and trace it on the same piece of paper, figure out the diameter needed to allow the speaker to pass through and give you enough space to still attach the speaker to the Adapter it with screws.

Center Punch or identify the centers of all thhe factory mounting bolts.

Cut out the Circle sized for the ID of the speaker.

Trace the pattern onto a pice of MDF (DO NOT USE PARTICLE BOARD) and have it cut out with a rotozip.

To get a proper seal it is good idea to use either foam weather stripping tape Available at Lowes or Home Depo (if possible) or if there is nothing for the tape to press against then some people have use some temp resistant clay to ensure a good seal near the speaker (prevents sound waves fropm conflicting).

I used 1/4th inch Allenhead bolts, some washers and Nylock nuts to mount mine through the factory mounting holes, some drilling might be necessary.

This is the best way to do it and should make a noticable difference. Stock Plastic mounts are usualy Rattle Traps.

it's a good idea to paint the MDF Black so it cannot be scen through the door panels and to prevent teh Formaldahide(spelling) from outgassing. MDF Constantly releases this chemical once cut so it's a good idea to paint all surfaces of the MDF to help prevent this from happening.

regarding the MDF mounting. I see a lot people doing it. Does it improve the sound quality over just mounting to the door sheet metal or is it just an easy way to mount the speaker?

well with alot of the speakers the mdf is used to hold the speaker magnet away from the window within the door so you can still roll your windows down... if that makes sense

when using MDF mounting baffles, along with some simple sound deadening it really improves the sq of the midrange/midbass speaker. I causes the speaker to have a better mount and not vibrate as much. Even without the sound deadening you will be able to tell a difference. I reccomend it on all door installs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.