Installed eonon unit with reverse polarity. Is it stuffed?

mrSilkie

I was doing it in the dark and i couldn't see properly, looking today and saw that everything was back to front.

I blew a lot of fuses in the car and the unit has a fuse on it aswell which also blew when we connected it to the battery with the CORRECT polarity (A4 ISO port pinout) and we still blew a fuse.

So i'm sending it back, i bought it through ebay so i can get my money back with no hastle but i'm just double checking.

Also, WHY would it blow a fuse if it's correctly wired up even though it was wired up with the reverse polarity earlier.

Simple answer is it's not designed to run reverse polarity. It ***** that you messed it up and are making the seller pay for your mistakes. Remind me not to sell anything to you lol

I was doing it in the dark and i couldn't see properly, looking today and saw that everything was back to front.
I blew a lot of fuses in the car and the unit has a fuse on it aswell which also blew when we connected it to the battery with the CORRECT polarity (A4 ISO port pinout) and we still blew a fuse.

So i'm sending it back, i bought it through ebay so i can get my money back with no hastle but i'm just double checking.

Also, WHY would it blow a fuse if it's correctly wired up even though it was wired up with the reverse polarity earlier.
wow really, you blow it and your going to send it back to get your money.... ill never sell you anything.

Two things.

Firstly, I've installed 5kw inverters running 500v back to front and they were fine, how come my headunit can't handle 12v? There should be a diode inside that prevents the voltage from flowing in a way that it isn't intended to AND if it blows then i shouldn't be blowing fuses because there should be no path for the current to flow because the diode when blown along with the fuse will both make an open curcuit which means that i should have no electricity flowing through the unit to short out the fuse.

Yes, i wired it back to front, no, i think it was fucked in the first place

I know what you mean. I bought a microwave and the first time i used it i put hot chocolate in it. I left the spoon in and I found out quick they sold me a bad microwave.

I know what you mean. I bought a microwave and the first time i used it i put hot chocolate in it. I left the spoon in and I found out quick they sold me a bad microwave.
How else are you supposed to heat up your spoon too? I agree, they definitely sold you a bad microwave

You have to realize your on a 12v car audio forum..... we are going to bust your balls over a rookie mistake and hooking it up backwards. Blatantly saying I'm getting my money back touches a nerve with us as we will sell something and people will install it improperly and demand their money back. None of us like that game.

So nobody has any answers as to why it would short if a blown diode is creating an open circuit but is still allowing electricity to flow through?

Reverse polarity protection costs a couple of cents to include and would almost certainly be included and i would be shocked if it wasn't included on a $300 unit that already has a fuse installed which means that the electrical engineer has already considered something like this happening.

This is what it takes to include reverse polarity protection.

vishayprotect1.gif

Not sure the point you're trying to make, but i'm sure its pointless. You admittedly installed an electronic component incorrectly that was not designed to be wired in reverse and you said you did it in the dark, which is an even bigger bonehead move. Please stay away from other peoples cars and if you can help it, stay away from your own.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.