Installation question for Pioneer Z120BT

04silverz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
San Antonio
Installing this unit this weekend into my 05 Silverado half ton thathas pre existing system installed.

Crutchfield mentions needing to cut out a support bracket in order for this to fit. How does one get in there and cut out this bracket? Seems a saw is going to be too big, though I havent pulled out the old head unit yet to check it out in detail.

If the metal is thin enough you can cut it with a strong pair of dikes or maybe even sheet metal cutters.
I don't think dikes will work, at least not the ones I have. Will look into possibly using sheet metal shears but again, not sure if they will be strong enough. Seem to recall this metal being somewhat thick.

try using a dremel
Yeah that might be best bet

Probably going to have to either go overkill when I buy something to be sure it will do the job or pull the old head unit out first and look around in there. Thankfully got a three day weekend coming up.

If it is like other gm suv's/trucks of that year it should be a large plastic bracket/bezel type piece, get the dremel out and take your time to cut out the whole thing.
Yeah it was. Forgot to update thread.

Was plastic not metal. Nothing a dremmel and a cutting disk couldn't handle

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.