Install Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

jack
10+ year member

Alright, now that I have pretty much decided what I will purchase for my system, I have begun to think about the install, and what I will need. Not in terms of tools, but distro. blocks, wires, fuses, all that junk.

Anyway, I don't really know what all these things are, I have simply heard of them. If you could please explain to me the purpose of distrobution blocks, fuses, RCA's, and anything else you think I will need to install the following (except for wire, I got that covered)And also where they go physically in the car, and why they are important. Anyway, here's the gear:

Focal 165v Components

MTX 6152 (for the components, and I'll run the rears off the HU, or do you think I should run all 4 speakers off the amp?)

RMS Dual 10" PM (check them out: http://www.rmscaraudio.com, look under Products, and see the Power Mouse, read the testimonials and technical stuff too, the owner is an awesome guy to talk to)

MTX 6500D (for the subs, about 375W too each, I drive an RSX, and a member at ClubRSX has this setup and hit 146 at the dash with this amp and the subs I mentioned)

You might be wondering why I will be running MTX amps. The owner of RMS Car Audio has his own online store http://www.thebassmechanic.com and he sells the MTX amps, and he told me that they are just as good as a lot of other amps brands (except for Arc, Zapco, USAmps, that kind of stuff). I had never really heard anything good or bad about them, what do you guys think?

So if you could just tell me what I will be needing and why I need them and where they go, that'd be great. Thanks a lot

Originally posted by jack Alright, now that I have pretty much decided what I will purchase for my system, I have begun to think about the install, and what I will need. Not in terms of tools, but distro. blocks, wires, fuses, all that junk.

Anyway, I don't really know what all these things are, I have simply heard of them. If you could please explain to me the purpose of distrobution blocks, fuses, RCA's, and anything else you think I will need to install the following (except for wire, I got that covered)And also where they go physically in the car, and why they are important. Anyway, here's the gear:

Focal 165v Components

MTX 6152 (for the components, and I'll run the rears off the HU, or do you think I should run all 4 speakers off the amp?)

RMS Dual 10" PM (check them out: http://www.rmscaraudio.com, look under Products, and see the Power Mouse, read the testimonials and technical stuff too, the owner is an awesome guy to talk to)

MTX 6500D (for the subs, about 375W too each, I drive an RSX, and a member at ClubRSX has this setup and hit 146 at the dash with this amp and the subs I mentioned)

You might be wondering why I will be running MTX amps. The owner of RMS Car Audio has his own online store http://www.thebassmechanic.com and he sells the MTX amps, and he told me that they are just as good as a lot of other amps brands (except for Arc, Zapco, USAmps, that kind of stuff). I had never really heard anything good or bad about them, what do you guys think?

So if you could just tell me what I will be needing and why I need them and where they go, that'd be great. Thanks a lot
Fuses are used for protecting the amp (or what ever item is getting the power) from possible power surges; it will disconnect the circuit to prevent damage down line. A fuse should be placed as close to the battery as possible but not more then 18" away. From here your power wire should be split at a distribution block. Distribution blocks are used for splitting power and ground wires. Some are fused (power) and others are not (ground). (If your power wire is already fused, then use an un-fused distro. block.) From here go to the amps. Run your grounds from the amps to an un-fused distro. block. Then from that to your ground point. The ground point should be as close to the amp(s) as possible. The RCA cords run from the HU to the amp and supply it with the audio signal. Run these lines down the opposite side of the car that you ran the power to prevent unwanted noise entering the RCA's. Also run your remote line from your HU to the amps. I suggest running this with the power wire.

Personally, I like MTX amps. I think they provide very clean power and I like the way they sound.

Hope this helps.

You probably already know this, but a good place to ground your system is a seat-belt bolt... there should be one relatively close to where you're installing your amps. Unscrew the bolt, crimp a ring terminal to the end of your ground wire, add a star washer, and bolt the whole thing back together... just be sure to tighten the bolt back up to factory specs.

Also, when you ground it, the terminal has to be touching the bare metal of your vehicle chassis, no fiberglass... and make sure that you scrape away all paint/rust/crap from the ground point....

Good luck... =)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jack

10+ year member
jack
Dallas area
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from