Install Head ache

Participant count
  • Participant list

mattgxp

hello. I have lately been trying to install a kenwood double din head unit into my 04 bonneville gxp. I have the right wiring harness and antenna adapter and have gotten the head unit to power on. When the head unit is in standby mode it doesn't make any noise, as expected. However, when I put it on tuner (or any other mode) there is a high pitched loud static that comes out of the front left door and the rear door speakers - I do not know what is wrong. When I had first attempted to install the head unit I did it with an incorrect harness and heard a pop - I proceeded to change the blown audio fuse which gave me audio power back, but I wonder if maybe something else was blown during this. Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

I have tried to alternate grounds and power - I had it spliced into the cigarette lighter which worked and I also tried running the power straight from the fuse box, which also worked -but both still had the high pitched loud static

Sounds like either a speaker wire shorting to ground or you damaged the head unit when you wired it wrong. Fuse opening won't always happen quick enough to save delicate semiconductors. If you switch the speaker wires from the malfunctioning channel to a different speaker what happens?

I hooked up a speaker I had laying around to the front left speaker wires and still got static...How do I tell if the speaker wire is "shorting to ground"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.