Infinity Speaker and Audiobahn Amp Question

mitchellz71
10+ year member

This will be going into a 98 ext cab z71

I have been looking at some Infinity kappa speakers and wanted to know what yall thoughts on them were before i order them,

for the fronts i want the Infinity Kappa 62.7I 6.5's , and for the rear i can only fit a 6x9, so i thought that the Infinity Reference 9613I 6x9s shopuld do it. i know that the 6.5s are kappa and the 6x9s arent but thats because i dont want to spend the extra money and the kappa 6x9s if im not going to put the extra watts into them. as far as the amp goes i was think an Audiobahn A600** . i know not everyone likes them but i think it will do for what i need it for if it makes the power it says it will. the speakers are all 2 ohm and the amp needs to be wired at 4 ohms for the right amount of power, is that possible? any recomandations yall have?

heres the links

6.5s

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/4647

6x9s

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/4665

and the amp

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13489

thanks for the help,

mitchell

PS-also can the speakers and amp be wired at 2 ohms? im still looking for the amp really and some of them make the right power at 2 ohms instead of 4 ohms. and what else do i need for this system? like wires and all that stuff and if you could also recomend some good brands or places to get them that would be great.

Two of the worst products ever chosen!
-Nick-

As I would tend to agree here, it's all subjective. What may sound like crap to us would be like a dream to someone else.

I'd get the Polk db or Momo over Kappa's anyday! But again, this is my preference. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

As I would tend to agree here, it's all subjective. What may sound like crap to us would be like a dream to someone else.
I'm get the Polk db or Momo over Kappa's anyday! but again, this is my preference.
Agreed that the Polk MOMO set is the best Budget speaker ever invented to man!

-Nick-

Yes, it all depends what type of sound your looking for. I use to have Infinity Kappa's. They would loud and clear. The problem for me was they were harsh. I'll take my Polk's anyday over the kappa's not becuse the kappa's were bad. They were not. The polk's are just smooth... and thats what i was looking for.

thanks for the help guys, im going to look into those polks. and is that other amp any good? will it do 100 watts, for 100 bucks it seems to be a good deal? and one more thing, can the four speakers that are all 2 ohm, be wired up so that the amp will run at 4 ohm? or does that amp have to run at 2 ohms also?

thanks for the help so far, yall have helped out a bunch and keep it comin

okay, i got to thinking again and was wondering if i could run the front 6.5s on channels 1 and 2 and give them 100 watts and then run the rear 6x9s on channels 3 and 4 and give them 125 watts? i would have to turn the gains down a bit but could that be done? i ask this because the Power Acoustik amp does the 100x2 watts at 4 ohms, and the 125x2 watts at 2 ohms and for 100 bucks it seems to be a good deal, if it is a good amp. what wireing kits what yall recomend? also what else is need to complete the install?

thanks

okay, i got to thinking again and was wondering if i
1. could run the front 6.5s on channels 1 and 2 and give them 100 watts and then run the rear 6x9s on channels 3 and 4 and give them 125 watts?

2. i would have to turn the gains down a bit but could that be done?

i ask this because the Power Acoustik amp does the 100x2 watts at 4 ohms, and the 125x2 watts at 2 ohms and for 100 bucks it seems to be a good deal, if it is a good amp.

3. what wireing kits what yall recomend?

4. also what else is need to complete the install?

thanks
1. Say you get the following setup: Polk MMC6500 and Polk MMC690. Both speakers sets are 4 ohms, so the amp would be driving each with 100w rms (in reality more like 80-90, due to the voltage in your car really being 12.5-13.8V instead of 14.4V). If you decided to get the Kappa 6x9's for the rear, those are 2 ohms, and would run at 125w rms each (again, this is masured at 14.4V, so figure about 90-115w at 12.5-13.8v).

2. Yes, you can turn the gains down a smidge to prevent clipping and overdriving the speakers.

3. Something from a company like EFX(new Scosche line), Tsunami, Kicker, JL, Stinger, etc. Don't cheap out on this. Crap brands give you power/ground wire that is measured WITH the surrounding insulation. They call it 4 gauge, when in reality, it's 8 guage with a thick surround.

4. Depends on:

a) what you need that's not in the install kit

b) how tidy and flexible you want your wiring install.

If you are going to run multiple amps sometime in the future (adding a sub/s, etc), you will need power and ground distibution blocks, and possibly enough wire to do the "Big 3". If ever there is a chance that you'll want to add an amp in the future, don't get the minimum gauge wire now. Get a size or two bigger just so you don't have to rip everything out come the time to expand your system. Example: if your amp calls for 8 gauge minimum, then don't run 8 gauge from the battery to the amp. Jump it up to 4 gauge.

Oh, and if you want to stick with PA for the amp, you'll probably want to get a pair of this amp for the Polk Momo front comps and rear 6x9s:

http://www.millionbuy.com/paklt6202.html

Slightly more power and the footprint is under a sq-ft.

If you're looking to save some serious cash on amps alone, I don't think you can make a better choice than the LT series for the money. They are actually built quite well and do put out around their advertised power. Unfortunately, I've never had any long-term experience with them, so I can't comment about general lifespan. But if you don't beat on it or push it to the limits, well there's the old saying: Treat it right, it'll treat you right.

Check out the Scosche/EFX E3200 wiring kit. It's a true 0 gauge kit that comes with the batt terminal, power distro block, and a ton of other things you would normally need to buy separately. For everything that's included, it's a steal of a deal. Both millionbuy and sonicelectronix has it for sale. 0 gauge may seem like total overkill, but for the money why surpass complete flexibility?! If you fuse it correctly, you'll be able to run any amp config that doesn't teeter on the edges of insanity.

I have a similar setup in my car. I have the Kappa 5x7's in all four doors with the Audiobahn 6004t amp powering them. While it sounds decent enough, I want something better. It was kind of a rush decision on my part, I should have done some more research. I'm pleased, but I'm not satisfied.

I have a similar setup in my car. I have the Kappa 5x7's in all four doors with the Audiobahn 6004t amp powering them. While it sounds decent enough, I want something better. It was kind of a rush decision on my part, I should have done some more research. I'm pleased, but I'm not satisfied.
Start by replacing that amp. Just that in itself could make a big difference.

Deja, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to car audio. Can you tell me why Audiobahn isn't really looked highly upon? I'm looking at replacing it with either a Phoenix Gold or Hifonics amp sometime hopefully in the near future. Thanks

Simple answer....

Audiobahn = teh suk.

Long answer....

(not to my credit) "You can't polish a turd, but you can chrome it and sell it for lots!"

Detailed Answer....

They aren't highly looked upon because the products are of low component and build qualities. The only successful thing about that company is their marketing which in turn has lead to mass sales.

"Budget" amps I trust:

1. Power Acoustik LT series (they actually perform close to how they are rated).

2. Phoenix Gold Xenons (PG got sold recently.....awesome deals on eBay which now puts these in the budget category, even though they sold for a premium not long ago).

3. Infinity Reference (for their capabilities and build quality, eBay sellers and some online retailers are basically giving these things away).

There might be a few more for the list, but I'll stop there for now as I haven't much time to dig too far into my memory banks (at work).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.