Infinity rms vs. peak power

Participant count
  • Participant list

hiloracerboy84
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i am planning on getting the infinity kappa perfect 12's, and they have an rms power rating of 350 watts, and a peak of 1400 watts....why is this? most subs have a peak rating that is double or a little more than double the rms power....the perfects have a peak that is FOUR times as much as their rms rating...why is this???

also, are they underrated then? because lots of people run 600w rms to them(jbl bp1200.1), without problems. people that have used 300-350 watts on these subs have had problems and blown them....why??? im kinda confused...

anyone with info on this stuff...plz help me clarify this

thanx a lot

My guess on why they blew with 350 watts and less is because they ran their amp to hard it clipped and the smoked.. Other than driving your amp too hard you cannot under power a speaker (any speaker) and blow it..Overpower a speaker is almost the same thing but depending on the speaker some can take more abuse than others..Perfects are a durable sub..I couldrun 600 to each, all day long with no problems...my friend does.

mike

Lets also just say that the 1400 watts that Infinity rates the Perfects peak at; is a little far fetched too. Granted, they are a durable woofer, however, my old 12.1's were pretty much at full potential- if not forced a little beyond with a RF BD1000.1. Peak power is nothing to seriously concern yourself with either way. The RMS rating means a lot more as this is what the speaker can continuously handle.

take it easy,

-zane

k thanks guys

and i do know that the rms factor is more important, but i was jus wondering, cuz like i said....most subs' max rating is around double their rms...and the perfects' rating of 1400 made me kinda curious

thanks a lot again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.