infinity perfect and jbl 1200.1

hiloracerboy84
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
im getting two infinity kappa perfect 12's an im gonna run em off a jbl bp1200.1, which will be a 2 ohm load, giving each sub 600w rms. will these subs b able to handle this power, cuz they is rated at 350 rms. if they will handle it, will this be loud, if i put them in

separate sealed boxes?

and what vol should i go with? 1.0 cu ft. or 1.25 cu ft?

thanks a lot guys

I would change to a ported box if you have the room, but go by the specs that are give by infinty. I have heard both sealed and ported the ported sounds so much better. ohh and the subs will handle that much power.

I would advise AGAINST using a ported box with Infinity Perfect subs...they are made for sound quality that would definitely be lost in a ported box (ported boxes are tuned to pick up a small frequency band, so most everything else is lost, but I must admit the tuned frequency is usually much louder) and everyone I know that has tried them in a ported box has blown them because they are typically not able to handle quite as much power in a ported box than in a sealed one. This is just my experience and opinion, so if anyone else has some info, feel free to either agree or disagree!

Keep it loud!

JELLYDIME

nope I wouldent use infinity in a porterd box neither. use a sealed box with infinitys recomended enclosure size. And the amps is plenty for them just make sure to adjust your levels accordingly.

dont use the ported box, infinity makes sq subs and not spl, but just incase you do use ported box make it 1.25cuft cuz it not as powerful

Everyone the posted after me thank you. i think i will reconsider my choice. thoigh for some reason the ported box that the perfects where in sounded so much better. the sealed box seamed as though the subs were trying real hard to hit hard but weren't maybe it was set up wrong. Going back to listen to both. also will the jbl over power two 10's in a ported box. i am trying to get real good sq.

thanks again everyone.

Likewise, I would highly recommend the sealed box, and I would have it with 3/4" MDF with 1.25^3 per sub. I am running this setup now with 1.0^3 ft per sub, and it sounds just a little off. Lmyb's, a possible reason as to why the ported enclosure sounded better could be the grade of sealed box you heard them in, or the music. Was this a demo at a store, or an actual in car experience? There are a lot of variables that could have affected the performance of the subs.

If you heard the subs at a car audio store, were they or rap music? This could be a factor because of the narrow frequency band on certain tracks, but if that is the case, have them play something that has lots different bass frequencies, such as a SQ comp disk...that give you a better perspective...

Keep it loud!

JELLYDIME

thanks again everyone it was at a car toys. both boxes built ther and 3/4 mdf. the music was my cd. a house cd very fast and alot of bass. where could i find a comp cd.

k the info u guys are giving back is great

keep it comin

..an you can get competion songs and/or sine waves/pink noise, sine sweeps etc off of some file trading program...i like to use winmx, but theres lots of em out there like morpheus or kazaa....

thanks again

A lot of times you can go to any car audio store and they will either have them there for sale or they can order them from you...You can probably get one online at cdnow or amazon.com, and occasionally cd stores like best buy or sam goodie have them.

Subwoofers are blown by distortion, not overpowering...

Distortion in a subwoofer is usually caused by the voice coil moving outside of the magnet range in the motor structure. When the coil leaves this area, the energy can no longer be transfered into sound energy and instead must be changed into HEAT(over-excursion is usually a result of overpowering)...too much of this leads to a blown woofer

When a sub is in a ported encloser, it does not have the same air pressure resistence that a sealed encloser has. Sealed enclosers actually help to keep a woofer from overthrowing the voice coil, so there is a better chance of this happening in a ported encloser (if you have a problem with this in a sealed encloser, simply adjust the settings on the amp to alleviate the problem) you can also do this with a ported box, but in a ported box, the sub is tuned to a certain frequency and sq is lost, so it is harder to tell if your sub is distorting as a result of the scenario stated above, so after spending all that time typing this out, the short answer is NO it wouldn't necissarily blow them as long as you listen carefully, set your amp settings meticulasly, and are not a volume master.

Hope this helps!

JELLYDIME

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.