Infinity or MB Quart

the amp powering my comps is an absolutely tiny class d. but it sounds just as good as any class ab I've heard. better than a few, actually. and it is making a legit 120x4 in a case the size of my hand lol.
The 4S has the active crossovers and TA, right? Or was that the 4R. Either way, that's exactly what I'm referring to. The PPI P900.4 is another prime example. So is the Massive NX4. Good news for my trunk space, that's for sure.

Tubes in car amps have been done a few times before this particular model. Don't remember what the winning formula was, but IIRC the tubes play VERY little a part in the whole workings of the amp. It was more of a gimmick than anything. Now REAL tube amps, especially the ones that used Japanese/Russian tubes, were everything you're mentioning and more.
Yeah I know the tubes involved here are more or less a buffer that are inline either before or after amplification to add some of that sweet warm and fuzzy tube sound. An actual full tube amp would be kinda neet to see though I don't know if you could really make a high powered on efficient enough for use in a car. Still even with a final tube buffer it has to sound pretty nice.

TBH, I think the way car amplification is going these days with the lines blurring more and more between A/B and D in terms of SQ, I think there's going to be even more extremely interesting offerings from the industry. We just need to convince the major manufacturers from making a mockery of what we do. The future is NOT amps that receive a BTAudio signal. They should have taken that tech and made it so you could adjust all the amp's settings via BT instead and they would have literally flown out the door.
True it wasn't that long ago that you saw some of the major players doing neat and "out there" things with there products. I remember when coaxial and optiacal were going to replace the ubiquitus unbalanced RCA jacks on out amps and head units and while there are still quite few products that use them most HU and amps still have regualar RCA. Though one of the neat things that has come up is the appearance of Hi-level inputs on amps for easier OEM intigration, it's not an ideal option but it's something that I remember thinking about back when I was a very young install tech at Pacific Sound. Your BT idea is a very interesting one. It would make calibrating your amp far easier and in most cases would let you adjust it on the fly in conjunction with you're HU EQ or in place of.

Though on a more serious note I kinda see it as the car audio scene as a whole going down a similar route that high end home audio has. It's leaving the spotlight mainstream and becoming more of an enthusiast thing, what with the average car's OEM system being good enough at this point for the average joe. That being said it's not dieing just transitioning we're still going to see neat and revolutionary things being developed in the industry but it's probably going to come from the indipendants that sprout up here and there as apposed to the established players.

Yeah I know the tubes involved here are more or less a buffer that are inline either before or after amplification to add some of that sweet warm and fuzzy tube sound. An actual full tube amp would be kinda neet to see though I don't know if you could really make a high powered on efficient enough for use in a car. Still even with a final tube buffer it has to sound pretty nice.

True it wasn't that long ago that you saw some of the major players doing neat and "out there" things with there products. I remember when coaxial and optiacal were going to replace the ubiquitus unbalanced RCA jacks on out amps and head units and while there are still quite few products that use them most HU and amps still have regualar RCA. Though one of the neat things that has come up is the appearance of Hi-level inputs on amps for easier OEM intigration, it's not an ideal option but it's something that I remember thinking about back when I was a very young install tech at Pacific Sound. Your BT idea is a very interesting one. It would make calibrating your amp far easier and in most cases would let you adjust it on the fly in conjunction with you're HU EQ or in place of.

Though on a more serious note I kinda see it as the car audio scene as a whole going down a similar route that high end home audio has. It's leaving the spotlight mainstream and becoming more of an enthusiast thing, what with the average car's OEM system being good enough at this point for the average joe. That being said it's not dieing just transitioning we're still going to see neat and revolutionary things being developed in the industry but it's probably going to come from the indipendants that sprout up here and there as apposed to the established players.
Exactly where I was getting at. I swapped out a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH yesterday for an Eclipse CD7200mkii. Interface on the Eclipse is god-awful, but the sound quality? Superb. People want their features and their ease of access. My friend literally asked me yesterday why I went from a double-din to a single and, for the first time in my life, I couldn't translate enough to explain it properly to him. I'll be the first to admit the touchscreen interface on the Pio was such a blessing while driving, but it's been fun playing around with TA and an EQ that isn't just an 8-band graphic.

The 4S has the active crossovers and TA, right? Or was that the 4R. Either way, that's exactly what I'm referring to. The PPI P900.4 is another prime example. So is the Massive NX4. Good news for my trunk space, that's for sure.
it's active. I was unaware that there was one with ta, but my x994 has it anyways.

I'll come out and say it I can't stand touch sreen head units and saddly at this point that is what most of the double din's are all about. Personally I find them to look a bit out of place in most older cars. When pioneer was still making the FH-P800BT and 8000BT there was an attractive no touch alternative but it's replacement the FH-X700BT is the exact opposite. Luckily there is the second hand market so i can get a tasteful HU. Though speaking of a plethora of physical tone controls you ever see Nakamichi's mobile pre amp lines. Thoughs babies had adjusts out the wazoo and a price tag to match.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.