Infinity or MB Quart

Hi_FIdelity
10+ year member

Mobile Audiophile
I've been out of car audio for a while (almost 10 years) and I'm looking at getting a propper set up in my car and I am currently stuck on speakers. I've managed to narrow my choices down to two brands. I remember back when Infinity and MB Quart were both good brands and from what I've gathered they still make a solid product. Even if they are owned by Harmon Internation and Maxxsonics respectively. I just want to get an opinion of what the advantages if any they have over each other. Also Price wise they are pretty much identical, give or take a couple bucks here and there.

Infinity

Front: Infinity Reference 5030cs 5-1/4" 2-way components

Rear: Infinity Reference 9633cf 6" x 9" 3-way Triaxial

Sub: Infinity Reference 1260W 12" Single coil 4 ohms

MB Quart

Front: MB Quart ONX213 5-1/4" 90W 2-Way components

Rear: MB Quart ONX 169 6" x 9" ONYX Series 3-way Triaxial

Sub: MB Quart PS1-304 12" 400W Performance Series Single coil 4 Ohm

Neither. Don't focus on matching your gear, either, unless it's an obsession. I would suggest putting the budget for the rears towards the the front components, to get an even better set. And an ssa dcon would kill either of those choices of subs in that price range. What amps do you have to power this gear?

edit: obviously a dcon costs more than those subs, but it's not terribly more...

I was thinking the Alphasonic PM12005E 75x4 rms and 250x1 rms. I remeber their stuff from 2002-2006 and they definatly had some solid amps. The PM12005E has got some pretty respectable specs and from what I've seen on the build side it's a pretty robust 5 channel. I'm not looking for anything that blows out windows and **** like that. I just want something that can give me clean high's and mids and respecable bass. AI'm kind of an audio nerd when it comes to matching components as much as possilbe so that's a bit of a factor also for the record my budget is around $500-$600.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking the Alphasonic PM12005E 75x4 rms and 250x1 rms. I remeber their stuff from 2002-2006 and they definatly had some solid amps. The PM12005E has got some pretty respectable specs and from what I've seen on the build side it's a pretty robust 5 channel. I'm not looking for anything that blows out windows and **** like that. I just want something that can give me clean high's and mids and respecable bass.
Their newer gear is a far cry from what they used to be. They're really not on the radar anymore. The amp you mentioned doesn't seem bad though. If it's fused correctly, it makes decent power.

Yeah they're not made like the old Zed based amps of the 80's and 90's. Though I think there current build quility is about as good as any of the other massproduced "higher end" (read decent) amps out there. I think the main issue is that fact that there parent company (The Anaba Group) owns Audiobahn and a few other lesser brands. As far as fusing goes it's got 2x40amp fuse's which seams to be the norm for any similar decent preforming amp.

So as far as the speakers are concerned you wouldn't recomend either brand for plain SQ listening.

Their newer gear is a far cry from what they used to be. They're really not on the radar anymore. The amp you mentioned doesn't seem bad though. If it's fused correctly, it makes decent power.
After reading the blurb in Zed's manuals about how companies fuse their equipment, I don't trust anyone's fusing. It's a close indicator, but I don't think it's concrete proof of an amp's ability. Hell, my Eclipse 5-channel has only 50A of fusing and it beats the tar out of my 120A-fused Rockford P8004.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

OP, what kind of budget did you have in mind for your SQ setup and do you already have a HU you intend on using?

OP, what kind of budget did you have in mind for your SQ setup and do you already have a HU you intend on using?
I was thinking about $500-$600, not going to break the bank but not underestimating the cost of quality I think. As far as HU go I've got a line on a Pioneer FH-P800BT (it's got an understated look and it has pre outs for front, rear, and Sub) though I do have a post in the classified section looking for a Pioneer FH-P5000MP (I'd really like a CD/Tape deck).

double post delete please.
I've never heard the Onyx's, but if something is cheap AND sounds good... it catches on fast. Nobody's mentioned them, so I'm inclined to think that you get what you pay for there. The Infinity's I've heard were a bit bright in the upper frequencies. But they were clear. I've had low-end cdt's that sounded good, and my current set(the PHD's in my sig) is outstanding. I have a vid of the latter in the PHD vendor section, playing at full tilt. If you like their sound, you can try out one of there entry level models. Even those are rated for 70 wrms.

After reading the blurb in Zed's manuals about how companies fuse their equipment, I don't trust anyone's fusing. It's a close indicator, but I don't think it's concrete proof of an amp's ability.
Definitely. If anything, an amp form an iffy manufacturer, thats fused for more power than its rated for usually means one of two things(or possibly both). It is over-fused, and/or its extremely inefficient.

I kinda miss my old amp Neo. that eclipse was amazaing

op are you willing to go used if not

Boston Acoustics US)

this is a link to a boston acoustics gta-1105 its the best deal on a 5 channel amp around for 179 shipped //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif amazing sound quality

2 find the amp since boston will not let me direct link it is to click on outlet store and then go to page 2 and you will see it. just buy this its an amazing amp

Boston Acoustics US)

this is a link to a boston acoustics gta-1105 its the best deal on a 5 channel amp around for 179 shipped //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif amazing sound quality

2 find the amp since boston will not let me direct link it is to click on outlet store and then go to page 2 and you will see it. just buy this its an amazing amp

[quote name='Hi_FIdelity']I was thinking about $500-$600, not going to break the bank but not underestimating the cost of quality I think. As far as HU go I've got a line on a Pioneer FH-P800BT (it's got an understated look and it has pre outs for front, rear, and Sub) though I do have a post in the classified section looking for a Pioneer FH-P5000MP (I'd really like a CD/Tape deck).[/QUOTE]

As long as you have the HU already knocked out, you're in pretty good shape. Yes, the audio game's not like it used to be any more, but there's still good stuff to be had. Funny thing is, the stuff we really couldn't afford when we were younger is now Old School and sells on the cheap. You can start grabbing up some of that Zed-made goodness on the cheap. For a 600-dollar max, you can do really well here on the classifieds and IIRC @mclerico83 ; has a couple projects that might need to be reconed but would stomp just about anything new while keeping you within budget on the sub stage.

As for the comps, I've been EXTREMELY pleased with my JBL MS comps and I know @trumpet ; can get his hands on those new with a warranty for a very reasonable price.

That leaves you with just the amp. I'll browse the classifieds and see what I can dig up for you to look at.

I have a rd sonance motor i can ship to @SPLaudio ; for him for 40 bucks he could build a 500 rms sub that would go on that boston 5 channel and basically it would stom anything around. tc sounds clone motor it gets low in small ported boxes :)

I also have some sick 5.25 actually sitting around let me take a picture will be right back

Boston Acoustics US)

Sorry to keep bringing it up, man. She is definitely treating me well. Looks like you'll have to snatch up an XA 5-channel to make you forget all about it lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.