Infinite Baffle System

durkmusic
10+ year member

I'm looking for an Infinite Baffle Subwoofer.

I did a lot of research and found that a Qts of about 0.6-0.7 is good for an infinite bafle setup. I am looking for SQ not SPL. I do want SPL but not at the cost of SQ or frequency response. I want a low frequency response (less than 25Hz). Here is what I've found so far:

JL Audio

12W0v2 ($80) min freq:22Hz Qts:0.67

Boston Acoustics

G312-4 ($145) min freq:20Hz Qts:0.73

G312-44 ($150) min freq:20Hz Qts:0.62

Which one is going to be better? Or... is there an even better driver than these?

Thanks for your help.

what is it going in, and how will you set it up? also, look at a lower ms....
It's going in the rear deck of a 95 civic. Already an old 12" running in there now but it's not IB. I can only fit a 12" so that AE won't work because it's a 15" right?

Too bad an 18 wouldnt work. I have a TC Custom Neo 18 that will work perfect IB and take 1200 RMS doing it. Oh well...

For an IB sub you want to look at a high QTS (.6+), an QES greater than the QTS, and a low EBP which is the FS divided by the QES. The lower your QES the lower your EBP as well.

I am going with Dayton HFs for my IB set up, they no longer make IB15s.

Also from what I have read the QTS is not as important, i.e. it doesn't need to be high.

For an IB sub you want to look at a high QTS (.6+), an QES greater than the QTS, and a low EBP which is the FS divided by the QES. The lower your QES the lower your EBP as well.
I've been recommended 4 times to the AE (I would get the 12" version) which has a QTS lower that 0.6. Does this mean it isn't good for IB?

AE does make a 12" version. it is more expensive than the dayton HF but it will also have more output with twice as much xmax and other goodies

No. The Image Dynamics subs have a mid .5x QTS and they work great IB.
No as in it won't work for IB or are you saying that you recommend an Image Dynamic sub over the AE IB sub? Can you link me to what you recommend? I'm having a hard time finding any ID subs with specs.

No as in it won't work for IB or are you saying that you recommend an Image Dynamic sub over the AE IB sub? Can you link me to what you recommend? I'm having a hard time finding any ID subs with specs.
he's saying no to the fact that lower than 0.6 QTS doesn't mean it's not good for IB

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.