Im stumped on whats wrong! help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Moxie
10+ year member

Indiana
i just finished installing my system, head unit and interior speakers a working properly. my subs though are not. if I put my hand on the sub itself I can just barely feel bass comming through it, cant see any movement at all.i have no idea whats causing this! anyone have any suggestions? a wiring issue mabey?

this happened to me when i set a temporary system up, i couldnt figure it out, the box had 2 separate +/- terminals each running into 1 of the voice coils and it was wired to 1 ohm, i pulled 1 of them off and boom started pounding i wouold touch it and it didnt. then i took everything apart and rewired it and it was fine. id say its possible my wire was grounded somehow. it could be the gains on the amp or the hu. id mess with every setting on the amp while its running low to see what happens, check power, ground, use a dmm. and then try to hook a pair of rcas connected to the headphone port of your phone or ipod and see what happens. if none of this works id have that amp checked. also check the sub(s) and make sure you are at the right impedence.

i played with the gain, it did make a difference but it was very minimal. i think my ground is fine,i can try a different spot. i really really dont want to take the speakers out of the box and re do all the wiring but Im running out of options. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

im running 2 15" solo barics, ZX2500.1 amp, o gauge power and ground wires, 12 gauge speaker wire. the only thing I skimmped on was the RCA's just got a cheap $20 pair from radio shack. that might be the problem ill try swapping those out with another pair. ill try and get some pics up tommorow if I cant get this figured out. thanks for the replies!

could possibly be the rca's but i doubt it. it would be the source. make sure the subwoofer option is on on the head unit and turn it up, see what happens and if you are running that kind of power on stock electrical it is gonna give you some problems.

im gonna do my best to explain how I have my subs wired without sounding like a idiot here. i Have 2 dual voice coil subs. sub # 1 is wired one wire from voice coil 1 pos to voice coil 2 neg, then from voice coil 1 neg to voice coil 1 neg on sub 2, then voice coil 2 pos from sub 1 to voice coil 2 pos on sub 2.sub 2 is the same except going to my mono amp insted of sub 1. i know I just did a really ****** job of explaining this. there is Diagram of how I wiried my subs on my thread on page 2 of this section, if anyone needs a visual of how my subs are wiried. ugh thanks everyone for trying to help me out here. if only i knew as much about car audio as I did about bikes I would be good to go! lol

I'm fairly sure you have wired those subs horribly wrong. I tried to draw up your wiring diagram and I'm fairly sure that's your problem. Are the subs dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm and what impedance is your amp rated at? (2500w @ 1ohm or 2ohm?)

I would pull the subs out and dbl check your wiring. This sounds like you have

a coil on each sub wired opposite of the other.

When that happens, the coils will fight each other(one wanting to move one way and the other the opposite. )

You will feel the cones vibrate but they will not put out very much sound.

Also, unhook your subs and wire in a different speaker or just one coil from one of your subs.

If it plays on just one coil then its the wiring job, if not then further diag will be needed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.