I'm really lost with my front stage

BPhiz
10+ year member

Arkansas
I just bought a JL HD600/4 to put in my sequoia. I'm currently running a JL 300/4 on Focal K2P's. I think I may have messed up one of the Focals with my Xover set too low. So for the most part I'm just redoing the whole thing.

My dealer is trying to talk me into the ZR's. I know how most of you feel about them so I'm open to suggestions. The tough thing is that I'm in Arkansas, so I'm not sure where I can get these higher end things installed. The dealer that installed my Focals screwed me royally (screwed them in sideways, no dynamat, no baskets).

I'd love to go for some Rainbows, or something like that, but I wouldnt know the first thing about installing them.

Heres a case of just a poor install. The K2P's should be fine, no need to switch them up for the Zr's. Have you tried tuning your amp and changing the settings?

If it still doesnt sound up to par, Id say you take it back and reinstall.

Most places dont include Dynamating, and also were you referring to speaker brackets?

Heres a case of just a poor install. The K2P's should be fine, no need to switch them up for the Zr's. Have you tried tuning your amp and changing the settings?If it still doesnt sound up to par, Id say you take it back and reinstall.

Most places dont include Dynamating, and also were you referring to speaker brackets?
Well, basically the right midbass driver "rattles" at certain frequencies. I have set the cross over to 100 instead of 80. I'm taking the car in tomorrow to check if the speaker is okay or not. I'm hoping that they are fine, but I'm trying to get a backup plan. I'm having the new amp installed tomorrow if the speakers are good.

Yeah... If I were smart enough to take my door panels off without messing something up I would.

In taking my door apart today it was revealed that I had Focal 165 KF's, not K2P's, and one of them is indeed blown.

I am ordering either K2P's or Utopia's today and having them put on my HD600/4 next week. I have also ordered a pair of polk components for the rear.

man did you pay for the KF's at a K2P price? hopefully not. well good luck with the install and yea make sure you baffle and deadend the doors really good.

Can someone give me a little more info on baffling and deadening? I dont really know much about it and want to get it right.

Deadening the doors includes some sort of bracing alot of times and some deadening material like Raamat. You'll need to cover up most of the holes to isolate the front wave from the back wave. Using a cardboard cutout or some metal mesh in the shape of the door holes, covered with damping material on both sides, then screwed to the doorskin is a good method.

Cover all areas of the door, then apply the above-mentioned cutouts, and make sure it's sealed up good. If you're sure you won't need to get into the door anymore, you can put another later over the top of your cutouts, as it will seal them super well. Do NOT put foam on the inside of your doorskin or it could get nasty as hail after getting wet a few hundred times, IMO. Even closed-cell foam, I think. I don't like any of that. just my $0.02

As for baffling, you will need a good solid baffle, 1/2" or 3/4" MDF is good for strength, but on some doors (like mine) it still gets wet and should be covered in something like fiberglass resin to help it resist water. Using something like non-hardening modeling clay between the baffle and door can help to isolate extra vibrations.

There're a few good tutorials out there on how to do this kind of thing... not sure where they're at, though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.