Im new, question about sub and amp compatibility

Participant count
  • Participants list

Hollipete

Hello guys,I'm sorry to ask such a simple question but I'm hoping someone can help

So pretty much i have two kicker 10" 10cvr104 subs. 4 ohm dvc, 800watt max power, and 400rms.

And for an amp, i have a Kenwood monoblock class D KAC-9106D. Max power 2000 watt peak, 1000 watt rms at 2 ohms, and 500watt rms at 4 ohms.

im just wondering if these are compatible. I learned that 2 4ohm dvc subs can be wired to 1 and 4 ohms. 1 ohm is not stable on this amp so they are going to be wired at 4 ohms. so 2 subs x400rms=800rms for the subs, but on the amp 4ohms is 500rms. im confused and was wondering if 500rms from the amp means each sub will get 500rms each, or the amp will supply 500rms total, giving each sub 250rms. Either way, would if be harmful if my amp was under supplying my subs? or if my amp was over supplying my subs? I tried to explain this the best i could, feel free to ask for clarification or more info. Thank you!

won't work for both subs., u need 1 ohm stable amp, or 2 svc 4 ohm or 2 dvc 2ohm wired 4 ohm each .. if u had asked us before getting amp or subs we coulda helped u..

Thanks for the clarification. It’s easier to return my amp rather than the subs. So I would need an amp that would provided at least 800rms at 4ohms? Is there any cushion on that, for example can the amp be 100rms over or under what the subs need? Thanks again

Thanks for the clarification. It’s easier to return my amp rather than the subs. So I would need an amp that would provided at least 800rms at 4ohms? Is there any cushion on that, for example can the amp be 100rms over or under what the subs need? Thanks again
depends on box 'm gonna be honest man theres a ton of refurb kickers subs everywhere i take that to mean the pop a lot.. that said the main reason peeps blow subs in general is because the under power them and set gain to high use bass boost and clip/distort the sub.. in ported box there's a thing called "box rise" thats y u will see peeps on here run like 3krms to 8" subs basically bigger the box the more box rise so u think u running amp at 1 ohm but when subs move alot u really at best getting 2 ohm power to the subs.. i had 930rms to 1 $75 pioneer 3003 rated at 600rms no problems at all.. so if my subs needed 800rms i'd look for a 1ohm stable amp that does a min of 1k maybe 1500 if u may upgrade subs (or 1 better sub) later u just set gain low don't use any bass boost on hu or amp.. there's a video of how to set gain with meter and 50hz tone it's very easy.. my amp would be perfect for u but they discontinued it.. so tell me where u sending amp back to and what $ u will have for amp and i'll see what they have if u doing a trade..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.