ideas for sound system layout....

Participant count
  • Participant list
hey everyone,

I'm new to this site, and forums in general, but I own a 1981 Toyota Celica and hope to upgrade my sound system in the very near future. (although I do not know much about car audio anyway)

Currently, it just houses 2 tweeters in the front dash (which need replacing), and 2 6x9's in the rear window, and I am very happy with the current head unit.

I don't have a huge budget, more mild at $1000-$1500ish. I am looking around for ideas on what to do, but cannot find anything. At the moment I want a 12" Sub and Amp installed in the boot, however, other modifications are a little awkward, because I can't really install new speakers in the doors, as the leg room is quite narrow. where else in a car would be a place to consider for speakers??

any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

If you can post pics of the car (with some interior shots too..of the door panels and kick panels). If you don't want to hack up your doors, you can make (or have made) some fiberglass kick panels. This will give you usually give you better sound than mounting the speakers in the door anyway. You can just remove the 6x9s. When you get some good components in front you won't need them. What HU do you have currently? I'm just going to guess and assume that if you're willing to spend that much on audio for a '81 Celica, you're restoring it? So answer these to get started:

-What HU do you have already?

-Can you do fiberglass work or do you know anyone that can?

-Do you mind cutting up your door panels?

-Are you planning electrical upgrades too?

-Are you going for more balanced, good sound (SQ) or just loud bass (SPL)?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.